+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my wife

LatrellCris

Star Member
Nov 2, 2022
Hi me and my wife (Japanese citizen) recently got married in Japan but in a ward office. We only signed papers in front of the agent with 2 witnesses (my wife mom and grandmother). We took pictures of us both signing the papers in front of the agent and the witnesses. We also had dinner at a restaurant to celebrate being husband and wife with my wife’s family. My parents couldn’t be Japan due to air ticket being expensive. Does the lack of traditional wedding impose a trouble when I apply for spousal sponsorship? We’ve been together for 2.5 years. So far, our proofs of relationship are pictures of us and each other’s family, air ticket, love letters, gift receipts, text messages, emails, and call logs. I can also get my witnesses to write a letter about our relationship.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Assuming you have spent a fair amount of time together in those two and a half years should probably be okay.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi me and my wife (Japanese citizen) recently got married in Japan but in a ward office. We only signed papers in front of the agent with 2 witnesses (my wife mom and grandmother). We took pictures of us both signing the papers in front of the agent and the witnesses. We also had dinner at a restaurant to celebrate being husband and wife with my wife’s family. My parents couldn’t be Japan due to air ticket being expensive. Does the lack of traditional wedding impose a trouble when I apply for spousal sponsorship? We’ve been together for 2.5 years. So far, our proofs of relationship are pictures of us and each other’s family, air ticket, love letters, gift receipts, text messages, emails, and call logs. I can also get my witnesses to write a letter about our relationship.
Have you been living together or have you at least lived in Japan during the past 2.5 years or is this a long distance relationship?

LatrellCris

Star Member
Nov 2, 2022
Have you been living together or have you at least lived in Japan during the past 2.5 years or is this a long distance relationship?
We’ve been long distance. We haven’t lived together for a significant amount of time but we have visited each other’s country and stayed 2 months per visit. She visited me in Canada 4 times and visited her 2 times already. We met in Canada before when she was a international student when her friend introduced her to me. We cannot stay together because she doesn’t have legal status in Canada and I don’t have legal status in Japan.

Smd91_

Apr 6, 2019
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
15-03-2023
Good luck in your application.. One advise provide as many evidence as possible so they do not drag you for an interview. (Plenty pictures text messages letters from friends and family, explanation why your parents could not attend it.. )

LatrellCris

Star Member
Nov 2, 2022
Good luck in your application.. One advise provide as many evidence as possible so they do not drag you for an interview. (Plenty pictures text messages letters from friends and family, explanation why your parents could not attend it.. )
Would it be beneficial if my parents writes a letter to why they couldn’t attend and have it signed by them?

Smd91_

Apr 6, 2019
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
15-03-2023
Yes anything extra is never going to hurt your application.. Gather as much as you can.

LatrellCris

Star Member
Nov 2, 2022
Yes anything extra is never going to hurt your application.. Gather as much as you can.
The only thing we lack is the ceremony because in Japan they don’t do court house wedding. You only go to municipal office to sign a marriage paper after that you can do a ceremony but it would cause so much. We’re looking for around $11,000 for the ceremony. We don’t have that much money. However, we did some pictures during the signing of papers and a few witnesses such as her mom and grandmother. I think it is best to have my parents and her parents to write a letter for us that they recognize/acknowledge our marriage.

edit: we’re planning for traditional wedding after a graduate

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Would it be beneficial if my parents writes a letter to why they couldn’t attend and have it signed by them?
The only thing we lack is the ceremony because in Japan they don’t do court house wedding. You only go to municipal office to sign a marriage paper after that you can do a ceremony but it would cause so much. We’re looking for around $11,000 for the ceremony. We don’t have that much money. However, we did some pictures during the signing of papers and a few witnesses such as her mom and grandmother. I think it is best to have my parents and her parents to write a letter for us that they recognize/acknowledge our marriage.

edit: we’re planning for traditional wedding after a graduate
Sure, it doesn't hurt if your parents write a short letter. Factual is fine. If they've met your spouse, they should mention.

As for the ceremonies and all that: my understanding is that Japan is rather 'secular' in the sense that no particular type of wedding is required and younger Japanese make up their own traditions (variations or combinations of Shinto, Christian, generic-western style weddings) and that it's not that unusual to have more modest style (informal) weddings either. You dont' have to be overly defensive about this, in other words - if both you and your spouse live rather normal secular 'modern' lifestyles, a full wedding is far from obligatory.

Emphasize the time you have spent physically together (not just online) and that you intend to live together. This is all within the normal scope of things for longdistance relationships.

BTW it's fine to have plans to do a traditional wedding but honestly these 'plans' don't carry much weight with IRCC. Anyone who was faking a relationship would claim to be planning to do a big wedding later.