+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my wife to come to Canada

chauch

Jul 19, 2017
We recently got married. I live in Canada as a Canadian Citizen. My wife lives in the United States as an American citizen. She will be moving up to Canada to be with me. I will be sponsoring my wife through the Permanent Residency Spousal application and at the same time being applying for the Open Work Permit.

I would like my wife to live in Canada with me while the PR and Open Work Permit applications are being processed. I've heard that she could come up to Canada as a visitor and stay in Canada up to 6 months as a visitor. I understand she won't be able to work until the Open Work Permit has been approved. When my wife is staying in Canada as a visitor will that affect the outcome of the PR and Open work permit? Also would we need to declare to CBSA that she will be coming into Canada as a visitor and that the applications are being processed? Are there any additional forms that would need to be filled out for when she's coming to Canada as a visitor?

dublo7

Mar 26, 2016
Hello Chauch,
I'm not a pro, but I'm in a similar situation. My research says: no problem for your wife entering as a visitor, especially by driving. make sure she has her US passport. No forms need to filled out for a US citizen to enter Canada as a visitor.
As for the work permit, just apply for it at the same time with the PR application and you should get an OWP in the mail in..... not sure how long but my geuss it would be less than 6 months. you should be able to call the CIC help line 0800 to 1600 with that question 1888 242 2100.

Good luck.

Now if someone could please help me.... i'm in the same situation, except my wife lives with our baby and I in Canada already and your visitor visa expires in 2 months. And..... she need to travel back to the USA at least twice in the next year. Do we have to apply outland? I cannot get a good reason why she should be refused re-entry at the border with an inland spousal PR application in processing.......

California2Canada

Apr 25, 2017
Now if someone could please help me.... i'm in the same situation, except my wife lives with our baby and I in Canada already and your visitor visa expires in 2 months. And..... she need to travel back to the USA at least twice in the next year. Do we have to apply outland? I cannot get a good reason why she should be refused re-entry at the border with an inland spousal PR application in processing.......
Definitely check this with someone else but I was under the impression that 1) there was never a really good reason for an American to apply inland (I'm also American), 2) you can apply Outland even if you are physically in Canada (lots of us doing it), and 3) I *think* that if you leave during Inland and get denied at the border, the app is canceled, whereas Outland it will continue to process.

I think you know #3, based on you saying you can't think of why she would be refused, but there's always a risk. Not sure why you want to apply inland, but if you were thinking it was because she's already here, you may not need to (I say may because I'm not sure how you mean of her living here already....immigration approved 'living', like has some status other than visitor, or physically 'living', like she sleeps in your apartment every night, but immigration wise is on a visitor visa). If it's the latter, you should be able to apply Outland.

[Absolutely have all of this verified by someone else; I'm just another applicant trying to figure it all out!]

goro

Aug 5, 2017
When my wife is staying in Canada as a visitor will that affect the outcome of the PR and Open work permit? Also would we need to declare to CBSA that she will be coming into Canada as a visitor and that the applications are being processed? Are there any additional forms that would need to be filled out for when she's coming to Canada as a visitor?
I have done the same thing. I was in Canada for 6months while my application for the PR was in process. Just let the CIC know, that all correspondance during that time should go to your address (or wherever she will stay during that time).
In the end, my "vacation" in Canada did not affect the outcome of my PR. But that was back in 2011, so if anyone has experience in the last 2-3 years, would be nice to know if this matter might have changed.

chauch

Jul 19, 2017
Thank you guys for all the good advice. Sorry it's such a very late reply. My wife has decided to stay in the United States to keep working while the PR application is still being processed. We're hoping it should be approved soon.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Thank you guys for all the good advice. Sorry it's such a very late reply. My wife has decided to stay in the United States to keep working while the PR application is still being processed. We're hoping it should be approved soon.
Question, does your spouse need to go through the same process like IELTS, credential evaluations ets?

chauch

Jul 19, 2017
Question, does your spouse need to go through the same process like IELTS, credential evaluations ets?
My wife doesn't require one at this time. She speaks pretty good English. But I believe she doesn't need it is because of the route she is taking for permanent residency. We're going the spousal sponsorship. I believe the IELTS is needed for skilled workers looking for permanent residency.

Reactions: Samoinp