+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my wife before updating her ID and Passport

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Hi guys, I want to sponsor my wife, I am Canadian Citizen and she is Colombian. She is in the process to change her ID´s Place of Birth because it didn´t coincide with her Birth Certificate. Since this is taking at least 5 months more, do you think we can apply with her current documents (Birth Certificate, and ID and Passport to be updated) in order to start sooner or is it better to have those updated before starting our applications?

Thanks a lot for your opinions!

maxayma

May 11, 2020
Hi guys, I want to sponsor my wife, I am Canadian Citizen and she is Colombian. She is in the process to change her ID´s Place of Birth because it didn´t coincide with her Birth Certificate. Since this is taking at least 5 months more, do you think we can apply with her current documents (Birth Certificate, and ID and Passport to be updated) in order to start sooner or is it better to have those updated before starting our applications?

Thanks a lot for your opinions!
her Colombian ID is not needed unless it is a country specific requirement. In general as per the checklist the applicant only need to provide copy of Birth Certificate and Passport info page (some countries all passport pages are also required).

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Thanks @maxayma , in this case both ID and Passport places of birth are not matching exactly with Birth Certificate. (ID and Passport mentioned Quimbaya, Quindio but the Birth Certificate says Armenia, Quindio). It is better to wait till the moment we correct that error or we can apply in that way and correct it if we are asked? Thanks for your suggestion,