+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my wife and dependent child from Colombia

spetroun

Star Member
Mar 20, 2013
I currently reside in Canada and am sponsoring my wife and child from Colombia who are in Medellin. I am following the specific country checklist and I will require a background criminal check for my wife as per the checklist. The instructions states that she needs a file number before proceeding with a criminal background check. Is the file number given to me after the sponsorship approval in Canada or will she be requested to go to the Canadian Embassy in Bogota? I have also came across this website which is some sort of processing centre in Bogota that forwards the documents to the Embassy in Bogota. Has anybody had any experience with the VAC centre in Bogota and is it a mandatory procedure for sponsoring my family to Canada? Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
spetroun said:
I currently reside in Canada and am sponsoring my wife and child from Colombia who are in Medellin. I am following the specific country checklist and I will require a background criminal check for my wife as per the checklist. The instructions states that she needs a file number before proceeding with a criminal background check. Is the file number given to me after the sponsorship approval in Canada or will she be requested to go to the Canadian Embassy in Bogota? I have also came across this website which is some sort of processing centre in Bogota that forwards the documents to the Embassy in Bogota. Has anybody had any experience with the VAC centre in Bogota and is it a mandatory procedure for sponsoring my family to Canada? Thanks
Heya

The file number will be given in the sponsorship approval email sent to you. You can then pass it on to her to use for her police certificate.

As for using the VAC, that is completely up to you, it is not mandatory. This link explains it http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/vac.asp

If you are comfortable doing the application and mailing everything yourself, then you can skip the VAC and just send your app directly to CPC - Missasagua yourself. But I think that it is free to use most of the services of the VAC, so it could also be help. As I said, it is completey up to you guys to decide if you want to use it or not.

From what you said, I was trying to figure out if it is your child or your stepchild? Not asking to be rude :) but if the child is yours, you can apply for citizenship for him/her.

spetroun

Star Member
Mar 20, 2013
Canuck thank you so much for your reply. Yes I am trying to do the paperwork myself and am having a little difficulty but you answered some of my questions. I am truly thankful. The child is my stepchild who is extremely attached to me now..Thank you

spetroun

Star Member
Mar 20, 2013
Thank you for your Canuck. Basically I am supposed to complete all the required documentation, send it to CIC in Mississauga which is close to where I live at the present moment, they will approve the sponsorship application and will then forward it to the VISA office in Bogota which will provide me a file number and then they will instruct me on how to proceed with the background verification check for my wife who currently resides and lives in Colombia. Is that the correct process that will occur? Thank you again for your response.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
spetroun said:
Thank you for your Canuck. Basically I am supposed to complete all the required documentation, send it to CIC in Mississauga which is close to where I live at the present moment, they will approve the sponsorship application and will then forward it to the VISA office in Bogota which will provide me a file number and then they will instruct me on how to proceed with the background verification check for my wife who currently resides and lives in Colombia. Is that the correct process that will occur? Thank you again for your response.
Pretty much. Your wife will need to fill out all of the applicant forms, send them to you in Canada along with any proof of relationship that she has and then you send the entire app to CPC - Mississauga. When Mississauga approves you to sponsor, they will send you an email or letter (usually email) and that will have the file number. Mississauga then sends the app to Bogota, and Bogota will then send you the instructions for the police certificate.