+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my U.S spouse during COVID in Canada

Devmoo

Oct 31, 2018
Hi there, so I just got married to my spouse a week ago, she has already been here a little over 6 months - almost up to 7-8 months (on a pending extension, but we just stayed since no answer). We will apparently receive the certificate in 2-4 weeks, but we would like to start the application now for sponsorship, incase they say she has to leave the country or something like that, and during COVID I don't know when she could come back.

So some questions:
1. Can I start the application with the temporary certificate?
2. How can I make sure she doesn't get sent to leave the country, will the spousal sponsorship inland (or outland) allow her to stay in-country?
3. Does anything change now that we're legally married? or until the sponsorship is in place they won't give us any leeway to help her stay here?
4. What would be the recommended route to make sure she stays with me in Canada at this point (being here for already 6-8 months).

Thanks!

Ottawagal

Aug 18, 2019
You need to provide the marriage certificate issued by the province where your marriage is registered. Without this document the application will be returned as incomplete.

When you say temporary certificate are you talking about the "Solemnization of marriage"? (I don't know if that's spelled correctly)

Devmoo

Oct 31, 2018
You need to provide the marriage certificate issued by the province where your marriage is registered. Without this document the application will be returned as incomplete.

When you say temporary certificate are you talking about the "Solemnization of marriage"? (I don't know if that's spelled correctly)
The Marriage Commissioners gave us some temporary documents until the real certificate came in, it looks like he gave us a certificate that says "Marriage Commissioners Statement of Marriage" with all our names and the date, and an invoice. Apparently, we could rush the certificate somehow? just don't know if that's necessary.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The Marriage Commissioners gave us some temporary documents until the real certificate came in, it looks like he gave us a certificate that says "Marriage Commissioners Statement of Marriage" with all our names and the date, and an invoice. Apparently, we could rush the certificate somehow? just don't know if that's necessary.
This won't work. You need the actual certificate or your application is going to be returned as incomplete.

You can request a rush when you submit the certificate application.

Devmoo

Oct 31, 2018
This won't work. You need the actual certificate or your application is going to be returned as incomplete.

You can request a rush when you submit the certificate application.
The commissioner said he's doing all the work and we will just receive the certificate in the mail in a couple of weeks, can we start other parts of the application in the mean time?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The commissioner said he's doing all the work and we will just receive the certificate in the mail in a couple of weeks, can we start other parts of the application in the mean time?

Thanks
You can certainly start filling out the application. Nothing stopping you from doing that. However you can't submit any part of it to IRCC until you have the marriage certificate. Everything has to go together as one application package.

Reactions: Ottawagal