+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my Spouse

kedar9

May 27, 2018
Hello,
I am a Permanent Resident of Canada. I want to sponsor my wife who is currently in the US.
We have been married for over 3 years. I moved to Canada last year (Sep 2019) for an employment opportunity while my wife was in the US.
Due to COVID-19, my employer has allowed work from home since March this year. And so, I came to the US to be with my wife. And I have been in the US since then.

Due to the pandemic, I have not traveled back to Canada. And my US visit has gotten extended. I plan to travel back only in case of an urgency.

I am a PR holder who lives in Canada. I have a Canadian job, a Canadian address and I am paying Canadian taxes. Because of the current unprecedented circumstances, its just that I am on a visit to the US right now.

1. Is it ok if I send the PR sponsorship application package for my wife from the US?
2. If not, can I make the application package ready From: my Canadian address and send it to a friend in Canada so that they can mail it?

Reference: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html
On the site, it says "You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada."
But I am not living outside Canada. I am just visiting and the visit has gotten extended because of COVID.

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
I am a Permanent Resident of Canada. I want to sponsor my wife who is currently in the US.
We have been married for over 3 years. I moved to Canada last year (Sep 2019) for an employment opportunity while my wife was in the US.
Due to COVID-19, my employer has allowed work from home since March this year. And so, I came to the US to be with my wife. And I have been in the US since then.

Due to the pandemic, I have not traveled back to Canada. And my US visit has gotten extended. I plan to travel back only in case of an urgency.

I am a PR holder who lives in Canada. I have a Canadian job, a Canadian address and I am paying Canadian taxes. Because of the current unprecedented circumstances, its just that I am on a visit to the US right now.

1. Is it ok if I send the PR sponsorship application package for my wife from the US?
2. If not, can I make the application package ready From: my Canadian address and send it to a friend in Canada so that they can mail it?

Reference: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html
On the site, it says "You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada."
But I am not living outside Canada. I am just visiting and the visit has gotten extended because of COVID.

Thanks.
No you must be living in Canada.