+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my spouse from Iran

hs0212

Feb 1, 2019
Hello,

I am just about ready to submit my application to bring my spouse here from Iran (Family class sponsorship - outland - spousal). It's taken over a month to prepare all the documents, forms and get everything ready per IRCC instructions and requirements.

I just have a question though. My spouse has scanned and emailed me all of his documents (translations of military card, birth certificate, educational transcripts, police check, etc. that have been notarized) and I have printed them, organized them and arranged them in the application accordingly as per the checklist. These are the certified translations that he has sent me that I have included in the application. However, I am wondering if this is permissible by IRCC or if he needs to provide the ORIGINAL of the above-mentioned documents and MAIL them to me, or if IRCC accepts photocopies of these?

I would really appreciate some help on this as I am so close to submitting and I really want to submit it with a free-mind and ensure that I have followed the correct procedure.

Thanks!

HS

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
Hello,

I am just about ready to submit my application to bring my spouse here from Iran (Family class sponsorship - outland - spousal). It's taken over a month to prepare all the documents, forms and get everything ready per IRCC instructions and requirements.

I just have a question though. My spouse has scanned and emailed me all of his documents (translations of military card, birth certificate, educational transcripts, police check, etc. that have been notarized) and I have printed them, organized them and arranged them in the application accordingly as per the checklist. These are the certified translations that he has sent me that I have included in the application. However, I am wondering if this is permissible by IRCC or if he needs to provide the ORIGINAL of the above-mentioned documents and MAIL them to me, or if IRCC accepts photocopies of these?

I would really appreciate some help on this as I am so close to submitting and I really want to submit it with a free-mind and ensure that I have followed the correct procedure.

Thanks!

HS
Going to apply soon too Outland (Principal Applicant here), I would look over thoroughly at the detailed guide and if any place mentions that they want originals only then you send them out otherwise a true copy works. Also make sure to check your country specific requirements as usually there they mention about originals. I am from India where country specific says ‘if Birth Cert was registered late they would need originals of my high school and other documents’ just to give u an example. If IRCC needs an original they will ask you for the same which you can courier later. If such a situation arises Make sure that you include a note that states you want your originals back as they are important for future use. All the best and do follow the February 2019 Outland spousal thread if you havent yet : )

Reactions: hs0212

sohrabp

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
Hi dear,

My wife just submitted the applications. I myself did not provide the orginal documents also i asked from many people who applied before and they did not provide.

The only orginal document i sent is police certificate.

I believe there is no need. Specially when you did certified copy and translation.

Best regards
Sohrab

Reactions: hs0212

hs0212

Feb 1, 2019
Hi, thanks for your reply.
I will double-check the detailed guide, thanks. For the country-specific requirements they did mention photocopies of certain documents so atleast I know that but for the remainder of the principal applicant's documents I am unsure if the certified photocopies I have included suffice or if they need the original.

hs0212

Feb 1, 2019
Hi dear,

My wife just submitted the applications. I myself did not provide the orginal documents also i asked from many people who applied before and they did not provide.

The only orginal document i sent is police certificate.

I believe there is no need. Specially when you did certified copy and translation.

Best regards
Sohrab
Hi Sohrab,
I provided the original only for the marriage certificate (in my case) but the rest are copies my spouse emailed me for me to include in the complete application.

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
Hi Sohrab,
I provided the original only for the marriage certificate (in my case) but the rest are copies my spouse emailed me for me to include in the complete application.
Police Certificate too needs to be Original as photocopy wont work. Have they asked you for original marriage certificate? Because the checklist says send only photocopy (notarised would help).

Reactions: sohrabp

hs0212

Feb 1, 2019
Police Certificate too needs to be Original as photocopy wont work. Have they asked you for original marriage certificate? Because the checklist says send only photocopy (notarised would help).
Ah, I will ask my spouse to mail me his documents in this case as I was not aware that the police check had to be original. Sorry for the confusion, I meant the photocopy of the marriage certificate is what I have provided in the application.

Reactions: Krissh2179