+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my Partner who is out of Status

San.Jamous

Star Member
Feb 4, 2018
Hi All,

So here is the story:
- My partner of 1 and a half years who is a student lost his student permit last month. Unfortunately it was a dumb mistake. He forgot to renew it on time. His college doesn't offer this course until next year. He has applied to extend his work permit now but there's little hope for us that he will get approved as it will be 1 year before he can take this course again.
- We are thinking that the only choice for us to stay together now is to get married. We have been living together for 3 months so we can't do common law.
- I am in the process of my citizenship application. I finished my citizenship test last week and now waiting to pass the language, physical presence and prohibitions and be invited to the ceremony.

Here are the questions:
- Once we get married, I will apply to sponsor him. I know the process takes at least a year! When school starts next year can he go back to school? Can he apply for another study permit while the sponsorship is being processed. or What is your advise for the timeline?
- Will the marital change affect my citizenship application? And if I intend to sponsor him now as PR will that still be valid if I become a citizen in two or three months?

Thank you in advance!
H.