+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my mentality disabled Brother

MichelSa

Sep 29, 2020
Hi Guys.
If i have a PR and i want to sponsor my disabled brother to come and live with me (he is mentally impaired), both are parents have passed away, so basically he is left alone in our home country.
Do i need to be his legal guardian, what is the process to follow plz.
Thanks a lot

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Guys.
If i have a PR and i want to sponsor my disabled brother to come and live with me (he is mentally impaired), both are parents have passed away, so basically he is left alone in our home country.
Do i need to be his legal guardian, what is the process to follow plz.
Thanks a lot
Do you have a spouse or common law partner? Do you have children? Do you have any other family members in Canada (e.g. aunt, uncle)?

If the answers to all of the above questions is no, the you can try sponsoring your brother under the lonely Canadian rule provided you meet income requirements. You do not need to be his legal guardian to sponsor him. As indicated in the response above, your brother will have to pass a medical as part of the process. Depending on the severity of his condition, it's possible IRCC could refuse him for being medically inadmissible to Canada. However you should certainly try to sponsor him as long as you meet the requirements to sponsor him (i.e. no family in Canada and income requirements).