+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring my husband from mexico any ideas?????

vaneval

Aug 22, 2009
i am moving back to canada next week and my husband will stay in mexico. the issue is im 3 months pregnant and the baby is due in march and we want him to be with me for the birth. is this even possible??? could he get a special visa to be there for the birth or will we have to wait for his sponsorship to go through??? i need help!!! i am a canadian born citizen btw.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Now that Mexico is non-visa-exempt, it's not likely he'll be able to get a temporary visa to come to Canada anytime before his PR visa is approved. Have you submitted that yet? Mexico City is processing spousal aps in 5-13 months, plus another 6 weeks at the start for approval of the sponsor through Mississauga. If your ap is already is process, you have a chance of getting his PR before the baby arrives . . . otherwise, you're cutting it pretty close.

vaneval

Aug 22, 2009
what about if he got a visitors visa to come and be there at least for the birth and then after we applied for the spousal sponsorship??? would we be able to do that?? would they make him leave during the process? arent there compassionate circumstances? i cant raise our baby by myself for a year nor do i want to!!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Trying to apply for a visit visa with a Canadian spouse is hard because they will not believe that he is planning on leaving you and going back to Mexico again when his visit visa expires. You can still try it but the reason they imposed visas on Mexico this summer was because they were having a lot of problems with Mexicans coming to Canada and overstaying. You can try applying for a visit visa for him but be prepared that you may get denied.

Another thing you can do, you can start an outland sponsorship, make sure you have a bulletproof application and hope it's fast. Once you have been approved as a sponsor which takes about 7 weeks, you can apply for his visit visa. Then at least you will have shown that you have passed the requirements to sponsor him so maybe they will let him visit although he would still need to prove that he will return to Mexico when his visa expires unless he gets his PR first. Another thing with outland is that if there are questions about the application, he would be called for an interview in Mexico so he would have to go there so another reason why he might be less likely to overstay.

You can also go back to Mexico to be with him, have your baby there and sponsor him for PR while you are living in Mexico and only move when he gets it.

vaneval

Aug 22, 2009
i dont want to have the baby in mexico which is why im moving!!! in mexicio it would cost me a fortune well over $10k!!!! what are the wait times for mexico??? couldnt they make an exception to at least let him be there for the birth of his child it seems kind of ridiculous that they wouldnt let that happen!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vaneval said:
i dont want to have the baby in mexico which is why im moving!!! in mexicio it would cost me a fortune well over $10k!!!! what are the wait times for mexico??? couldnt they make an exception to at least let him be there for the birth of his child it seems kind of ridiculous that they wouldnt let that happen!!
It's not really immigrations problem that you didn't sponsor him earlier. They still have to go by the rules. RobsLuv already told you that the processing times in Mexico are 5-13 months, you can see that at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp#west The average is 6 months. Before the file goes to Mexico city, they will have to approve you as his sponsor. That is currently taking on average 43 days, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship

As I have told you before, you can try to apply for his visit visa stating your circumstances. Maybe he will get it. If you apply to sponsor him first, get approved as a sponsor and then apply for his visit visa, you might have a slightly better chance. Getting his PR before the baby is born, as you see is very unlikely.

jstmarried

Aug 17, 2009
Hello , There is no such thing as a special visa, chances of getting a visit visa are slim to none. However, you may try to apply while your application is in process as everyone says. Being a candian citizen, why did you not apply before as a citizen you are able to sponsor your husband outside of canada. You should try and get your application in asap. Try applying for a visa when your papers are in process who knows you may get lucky. My husbands application is in process in lima peru. He has already applied for trv august 5 we still don't have an answer we will know sep 2. We are hoping its a positive result. Goodluck

vaneval

Aug 22, 2009
what if he applies for a visitors visa to visit friends and he gets a job offer could he then stay and have the job sponsor him???

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You're reaching now and I understand why but it won't make a difference. He can't apply for a visitor's visa without telling them he has a Canadian wife! Your best bet is to get your application in NOW! He may go into a faster stream if your evidence is solid and they have no reason to doubt the relationship. But there are no guarantees. It takes as long as it takes and CIC does not give special treatment because of a pregnant spouse.

The point of a visitors visa is to VISIT not STAY. That's why most applications get denied when the applicant is married to a Canadian. The visa officers have to believe the applicant will LEAVE at the end of the visa! The only chance you have to get a visitor's visa approved is to provide rock solid proof that he will return to his home at the end of his visit by showing ties to his home country like owning a property, a letter from his employer, etc. Even then, in the case of a married couple, it's less than a 50% chance unless you are showing some huge holdings, money and senior level job.

Good luck.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lying to immigration is a very bad idea but even if he did this and got the visit visa, he'd have to have a job offer approved by Service Canada before he could apply for a work permit. Getting a job offer approved is not that easy these days. The job has to be advertised for a certain period to make sure there are no Canadians or PR's willing or able to do it, they have to be paying market wage etc.