+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my Girlfriend

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
Hi

Me and my GF have been living together since December 2020
She needed to change status to visitor which we submitted in April 28 2021.

However, we attached a letter stating that we were friends, and I was going to support her financially if need to be. Reason was, she was married but legally separated, we thought we couldn't declare relationship yet.

NOW, we were in a relationship effectively, proven by living in the same address and evidence exist that we are indeed together.

In December 2021, we will have lived 12 months together.

If I apply for the sponsorship in December 2021, am I going to run the risk of misrepresentation?
Does the visitor visa application letter resets clock to April 2021 to count 12 months?

I need an advice please.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

Me and my GF have been living together since December 2020
She needed to change status to visitor which we submitted in April 28 2021.

However, we attached a letter stating that we were friends, and I was going to support her financially if need to be. Reason was, she was married but legally separated, we thought we couldn't declare relationship yet.

NOW, we were in a relationship effectively, proven by living in the same address and evidence exist that we are indeed together.

In December 2021, we will have lived 12 months together.

If I apply for the sponsorship in December 2021, am I going to run the risk of misrepresentation?
Does the visitor visa application letter resets clock to April 2021 to count 12 months?

I need an advice please.
Yes it could be problematic. If you said you were friends then there will be questions about when your relationship started, whether you were living together as friends and why did you lie.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So I could sponsor her in May 2021, after that letter?
There could still be questions about whether she is just a friend. Will really depend on what other evidence of your relationship and living together. Are you still living with roommates? Never lie to IRCC it just creates more problems.

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
There could still be questions about whether she is just a friend. Will really depend on what other evidence of your relationship and living together. Are you still living with roommates? Never lie to IRCC it just creates more problems.
we lived together in the same room with other roommates as a couple, and moved out to a private space in June. Yeah we are in a relationship, public in church, friends, and landlord contracts.

We just said friends because we were afraid that being married bars you from having a relationship..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
we lived together in the same room with other roommates as a couple, and moved out to a private space in June. Yeah we are in a relationship, public in church, friends, and landlord contracts.

We just said friends because we were afraid that being married bars you from having a relationship..
Living with roommates also creates issues. Were you both on a lease as sharing a room in your shared home? Very tough to prove that she wasn’t just a friend staying at your shared home. Homes with roommates often create issues for either probing you aren’t or are living together. Nobody can predict what will happen but make sure to collect concrete evidence of living together with dates on them. First hand accounts from friends, family, landlords are not very reliable evidence.

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
My only concern is the letter in her visa package stating that we were very close friends in the period we were in a genuine public relationship.
I wasn't sure if we could say in a relationship based on her civil status as married but legally divorced at that time.
I do not want to be risk hurting my PR status and my current citizenship application.
I asked a consultant, he said it should not be a problem as it is not mandatory to declare relationship status in a visa application, which does not make sense to me with the letter that was provided, he said he could represent us and all, but I am not so sure of that.

Is marrying her and applying as a spouse instead also could be raising questions?
We do have lots of photos and a rental contract for both of us.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My only concern is the letter in her visa package stating that we were very close friends in the period we were in a genuine public relationship.
I wasn't sure if we could say in a relationship based on her civil status as married but legally divorced at that time.
I do not want to be risk hurting my PR status and my current citizenship application.
I asked a consultant, he said it should not be a problem as it is not mandatory to declare relationship status in a visa application, which does not make sense to me with the letter that was provided, he said he could represent us and all, but I am not so sure of that.

Is marrying her and applying as a spouse instead also could be raising questions?
We do have lots of photos and a rental contract for both of us.
Yes applying as married would be easier at this point although you shouldn’t get married if you don’t want to. If you have not received the extension yet I would send a webform clarifying that you are in a relationship and you want to remain together while you sponsor her and that’s why she needs the visitor extension. Saying that you want to extend your stay in Canada to be with a friend risks being denied while the chances of approval are much higher if you are in a relationship and trying to become common law. Would not use the consultant you used. They aren’t giving you good advice.

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
Yes applying as married would be easier at this point although you shouldn’t get married if you don’t want to. If you have not received the extension yet I would send a webform clarifying that you are in a relationship and you want to remain together while you sponsor her and that’s why she needs the visitor extension. Saying that you want to extend your stay in Canada to be with a friend risks being denied while the chances of approval are much higher if you are in a relationship and trying to become common law. Would not use the consultant you used. They aren’t giving you good advice.
We haven't received it yet.
It's been 4 months now.

The letter was from myself and my girlfriend specifically saying friends and that she is going to finalize divorce and prepare to move back.

Is this not going to be changing facts?

Say to clarify that we are in a relationship and after learning that we are actually legally allowed to be in a relationship her being legally seperated, we would like to clarify that we are in a relationship and intend to apply for a sponsorship inside Canada

Isn't this going to hurt me with my PR and now my submitted citizenship application?

Thank you so much

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We haven't received it yet.

The letter was from myself and my girlfriend specifically saying friends and that she is going to finalize divorce and prepare to move back.

Is this not going to be changing facts?

Say to clarify that we are in a relationship and after learning that we are actually legally allowed to be in a relationship her being legally seperated, we would like to clarify that we are in a relationship and intend to apply for a sponsorship inside Canada

Isn't this going to hurt me with my PR and now my submitted citizenship application?

Thank you so much
You don’t need to be legally separated to be in a new relationship. Your girlfriend should send in a webform before she hears about her visitor extension. I would be honest and say that you incorrectly said that you were friends and not in a relationship because you were under the false impression that you needed to be legally separated before entering a new relationship. You should apologize for your error and indicate that once someone clarified that you could be in a relationship you contacted IRCC right away. You are currently living together and want to remain a visitor in Canada so that you can either become common law and get married. Nonce you qualify you will be sponsored by your partner who is a PR in Canada. No effect on your citizenship application.

Reactions: armoured

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
You don’t need to be legally separated to be in a new relationship. Your girlfriend should send in a webform before she hears about her visitor extension. I would be honest and say that you incorrectly said that you were friends and not in a relationship because you were under the false impression that you needed to be legally separated before entering a new relationship. You should apologize for your error and indicate that once someone clarified that you could be in a relationship you contacted IRCC right away. You are currently living together and want to remain a visitor in Canada so that you can either become common law and get married. Nonce you qualify you will be sponsored by your partner who is a PR in Canada. No effect on your citizenship application.
Unfortunately, the next day we received an approval to the application, no time to submit the form.

This month, we competed 12 months of cohabitation. If only that one time we didn't have to mention that, could we start the process comfortably.

My gf now has study permit, so maybe until June we could do that without worry.

However, I asked one lawyer, and advised me that it could be a problem and pushed me to pay fees to be represented for a sponsorship in December.
Another lawyer advised that it was not going to be an issue for us, and pushed for an official consultation for 450 to go through the details.

So I don't know... It is frustrating

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Unfortunately, the next day we received an approval to the application, no time to submit the form.

This month, we competed 12 months of cohabitation. If only that one time we didn't have to mention that, could we start the process comfortably.

My gf now has study permit, so maybe until June we could do that without worry.
All way too complicated and massively simplified by one step: getting married.

Up to you - but IMO, if you're serious enough to live together to be common law, you're serious enough to get married. (Some disagree, that's fine, up to them)

And if you do just get married, you probably don't need lawyers at all.

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
All way too complicated and massively simplified by one step: getting married.

Up to you - but IMO, if you're serious enough to live together to be common law, you're serious enough to get married. (Some disagree, that's fine, up to them)

And if you do just get married, you probably don't need lawyers at all.
We kind of don't believe in marriage and regardless, back home, I would be in trouble with family..

I guess in June is the safe bet..