+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my father but not his wife (my step mom)

rajahoomi

May 20, 2018
Hello,

I have a situation where my parents are divorced, my mother is single and my father is married. I would like to sponsor my blood mother, my father but not his wife. I don't want his wife to have the chance to come to Canada through me for personal reasons. But I'd like my father to come stay with me whenever possible.
I was told by an immigration lawyer that if I sponsor my father, his wife automatically also becomes eligible to become PR. What's the law? I couldn't find the details regarding my situation on IRCC website.

Appreciate your answers

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I have a situation where my parents are divorced, my mother is single and my father is married. I would like to sponsor my blood mother, my father but not his wife. I don't want his wife to have the chance to come to Canada through me for personal reasons. But I'd like my father to come stay with me whenever possible.
I was told by an immigration lawyer that if I sponsor my father, his wife automatically also becomes eligible to become PR. What's the law? I couldn't find the details regarding my situation on IRCC website.

Appreciate your answers
Laywer is right.

You cannot stop your step mother from becoming a PR if your father becomes a PR.

When you sponsor your father, his wife (your step mother) must be included in the application and must complete and pass the medical and security / background checks along with your father (otherwise your father won't be approved). However she can be included as a non-accompanying dependent which means that she won't get PR when your father gets PR. Having said that, as soon as your father arrives in Canada and becoms a PR, himself he can sponsor her for PR on his own as his spouse (without your help or any of your involvement). There's nothing you can do legally to stop your father from sponsoring her for PR and from her becoming a PR.

Look up spousal sponsorship. Spouse who is a PR has the right to sponsor their spouse. That's how your father would do it. Very simple. What you want or don't want will be irrelevant.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Hello,

Appreciate your answers
If you don't want your stepmother to have any chance of getting PR, you have no choice but to only sponsor your mother and not the father.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
As replied, application to sponsor your mom is 1 application.
One to sponsor your father plus his spouse is another application. You could fill in your step mother as non accompanying but her information is needed in the application and she needs to pass medical, police and background check before your father's applicantion can be approved.

You should not try to split up your father's current family by trying to sponsor him to move to Canada. It's his family. It's his choice.

Also if you want to sponsor your father, your income need to meet the number of family memebers including your step mother and any of their dependents.

Reactions: screech339