+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my aunt

bsobaid

Jul 12, 2009
Can I sponsor my aunt from father's side (my father's sister) from Pakistan? She is over 50 and a window and does not have any children.

I am a Canadian citizen. I have already sponsored my wife who is in Canada and now a Permenant resident.

Is there anyway at all my aunt can be sponsored? even on humanitarian basis?

Appreciate your responses.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doubtful. Not under the federal program for sure and even if you lived in one of the provinces that offer family stream PNP, she is too old to qualify for that. Can she immigrate on her own? What skills does she have? Can you try to find her a job and get her in on a temporary work permit? Do you have kids? If you have kids and you can send her on a nanny course, you could hire her as a live-in caregiver for 2 years after which she would qualify to apply for PR.

bsobaid

Jul 12, 2009
I live in Toronto, Ontario.
Is there a provincial program that allows me to sponsor her?

I dont think she can apply on her won, she does'nt fall under skilled labor category.

I dont have any children but my brother have. So we can look into Nanny program.

What is the official name of the Nanny sponsorship program? Does it fall under skilled labor?
Does she have to take Nanny courses or register herself with some official association?
She probably wont be able to write too many exams as she is over 50 and been out of touch with academic studies for a long time.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no family stream under the Ontario provincial program.

The official name of the nanny program is live-in caregiver program. You can read about it at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/index.asp It is not considered a skilled profession but because of shortage of live-in caregivers, it's a special program. She would either have to get work experience as a nanny for 1 year or take a 6 month nanny course to qualify. She would also need to speak English or French. This could be a long term project for you and her.

When she qualifies, your brother would have to apply for a labour market opinion for her, see http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/supperimm.shtml and make an employment contract, offer minimum wage etc. If you get the labour market opinion, she can apply for a work permit. The embassy would need to believe that she will return to her home country at the end of her visa which can sometimes be hard to prove, for some embassies harder than others. Once in Canada, she will have the option to apply for permanent residency after 2 years of work. Your brother would, like any employer have to give her pay-slips, withhold her taxes and EI contributions etc. etc.