+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring In-laws on Visitor Visa from India

Discussion in 'Visitors' started by frotenacs, May 14, 2018.

  1. Hello Experts and Friends,
    I am sure this topic must have been covered earlier, sorry for not being able to dig it further. Following is my situation, and I would like to have both of my parents-in-laws on visitor visa. I am a little concerned about their ability to obtain TRVs.

    We are expecting a baby in November this year, and I would like to invite my in-laws. My Father in-law is retired, and no income except may be pension (not too much). I also doubt he has enough savings from retirement, as he recently bought a land using his retirement savings. My mother-in-law is a housewife, without any source of income or savings in her name. As proof of income/savings, such as bank statement, how much they need to show during the TRV application? Although I will write an invitational/sponsoring letter (include my my salary slips and bank statements in their TRV applications) covering all their expenses during the entire stay in Canada, I am not sure if they need to show some minimum funds? Please share your thoughts. I really need them badly during the time when the baby is due.
  2. Forgot to add.. We (wife and myself) both are PRs, and soon to be citizens (in two weeks). Should we wait until we become citizens and then apply for the TRVs of my in-laws, or, it does not matter?
  3. Your citizenship won't affect their TRV applications
  4. First, it's not a good idea to mention that your in-laws are visiting to take care of your wife/newborn. This is generally considered as working illegally on a TRV.

    1. How long do they intend to visit?
    2. What ties can they demonstrate to their home country? Is it commercial or agricultural land? Do they live with other dependent family members? Have they traveled abroad?
  5. That is the reason I want them here to provide some support to us during the birth of the baby. But if mentioning that counters to the chances of obtaining the TRV, then I will not mention.

    1. We would like to have my mother in-law here for four months, and father in-law for two months. Is it too long?
    2. They live with their son (my brother in-law), but not dependent on their son. They have their own house, and recently my father in-law bought a commercial land using his retirement savings. I am not sure how much pension fund he has after retirement.
  6. Stating this will work against TRV approvals. Do keep it simple like regular family visitors who will also do some bit of sightseeing.

    The intended length of stay for both applicants is too long = Indicates weak ties to the home country

    Do they have any bank term deposits, stocks, etc?

    On a separate note:
    Do you meet LICO for 4 persons for super visa applications?
  7. Thank you @Bryanna for your inputs. I will make sure to keep the purpose simple, and limit the length of visit to a few weeks.

    Unfortunately they do not have any term deposits/fixed deposits, and it is taking way too long (slow government processing) to release his pension funds. Whatever money they had they bought a residential land (around CAD 80,000), they are intending to build another house in future. I am planning to send about CAD10,000 to their bank account, will that increase their chances of approval?

    Yes, I meet the LICO for 4 people comfortably. Are you saying we do have better approval chances if we apply for a super visa?
  8. #8 Bryanna, May 15, 2018 at 10:56 AM
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    IMO, here's how their situation would appear to the visa officer if they apply for TRVs:
    Your mom-in-law:
    No ties at all + no finances (cannot be financially supported by your dad-in-law, she must be financially supported by another immediate family member in her home country) + no dependent family member

    Your dad-in-law:
    Has property ties + if he is able to prove her has building approvals/financial resources for constructing the new house on the land then it is a reason to return home + retired/no employment + no dependent family member

    As their host:
    Your financials are secondary + you must NOT transfer any money to their bank accounts shortly before they apply. Greater the financial dependence on you, lesser the chances of TRV approvals.

    1. Apply only for your mom-in-law's TRV first.... by indicating your dad-in-law as the family tie to return to + state a typical family visit for 3-4 weeks + include financial support documents from your dad-in-law/another immediate family member in India.

    2. After she is approved, your dad-in-law can apply for a TRV.... property ownership + new house construction + must return to renew the pension, etc..... OR

    3. Apply for super visas for both of them: Their financials won't matter much (but some reasonable finances must be shown) + they must demonstrate some ties to India
    frotenacs likes this.
  9. Hello @Bryanna,
    I really cannot thank you enough for your kind suggestions and help. The more I think about my parents-in-laws situations regarding their visas (TRV) the more pessimistic I become. I am still debating which way to go- TRV or super-visa. Super-visa option is probably an over-kill considering how long they intend to stay with me. Dad-in-law is very reluctant to stay any longer than 2 months, I might have to do some convincing on my mom-in-law to extend her stay to four months. That's why I am thinking applying for a super-visa is going to be an over-kill / excess. Super-visa will also cost me more, a minimum of CAD 3,000 to purchase mandatory health insurance for two people for at least one year prior to the application. I am not sure if I will be able to claim the unused portion of the insurance once they leave Canada.

    But... if super-visa has better approval chances I will just go for it. Going back to your Options that you mentioned in the above post, assuming I am successful in obtaining mom-in-laws visa first then how long I should wait until I can apply for dad-in-laws visa? I really liked these options 1 and 2 in succession. I could never have thought something like this myself. Thank you so much. Really appreciate it.
  10. I agree. There's no point in spending money on super visa insurance coverage for a 2-4 months' visit + you have to hard sell the idea of staying for 2-4 months to them in the first place.

    1. Do post separate lists of documents for your mom-in-law and your dad-in-law.

    2. Is your brother-in-law married? Can he financially support her visit (although you may eventually pay for everything)?

    3. Is your mom-in-law a co-owner for the house they live in?

    4. Have they traveled to any visa-required countries?

    5. Can they prove any must-return-by-a-specific-date kind of reason with evidence? For example, a wedding in the immediate family
  11. How much gap I should have between the two applications? Should I wait until I have the visa for my mom-in-law in hand, then apply for dad-in-law's visa?

    Yes he is married. I do not think he would have convincing amount of savings to show as a proof. Do we need to include bank statements that goes a few months back? If I would go back six months my dad-in-law had all the money that he used for buying the land. But right now, I guess he does not have much.

    She is not the co-owner of the house they live in, but she is the co-owner of the new piece of land they bought.

    No they have not set a foot outside of the country. I just processed their passports, a few months back.

    That's a good thought, but nothing comes to my mind. I will keep an eye if something comes up.
  12. I recommend you apply only for your mom-in-law at this point in time.

    Do not apply for your dad-in-law until:
    1. His pension funds are released
    2. He has at least some government approvals/sanctions/ architect design plans, etc for constructing the new house. The new house would become one tie/reason to return.

    Bank statements for the last six months. His current bank balance indicates whether or not he has the finances to afford the visit.

    When he applies, he must include evidence that both he and your mom-in-law are required, in-person, for some reason for the new house

    This would make a big difference
  13. Thank you @Bryanna
    Your suggestions have helped me in making some decision. I will bite the bullet and go ahead with the super visa. That's the best possible way I could have my in-laws with me for a few months.
  14. Go for it!

    Although your dad-in-law has strong ties, his financial situation is not good enough to apply for a TRV with your mom-in-law. Anyways. IMO, super visas would be a better alternative.

    You can give the same reasons that I had suggested to prove their strong ties. Also, you must include proof of super visa medical insurance for one year with their applications. Do check with the insurance company because it is possible to get a refund for shorter stays

Share This Page