+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring husband for Immigration

RDG

Sep 12, 2016
Hi,

Being a Canadian Citizen, I have already sponsored my parents for their immigration. After being married to a person who is in the USA on F1(student visa), can I also sponsor him.

What if I am working in the USA under TN visa. Can I still apply for spouse immigration in the Canada.

Thanks

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
yes and yes. if you apply to sponsor your spouse while you are also in the US, you will need to show CIC how you plan to resettle in canada, as it is expected you both move to canada upon approval. this is quite common.

RDG

Sep 12, 2016
Thanks for the response.

So do we just have to mention in the letter stating our plans that we will immigrate to the Canada and will find jobs to support ourselves.

Thanks

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
RDG said:
Thanks for the response.

So do we just have to mention in the letter stating our plans that we will immigrate to the Canada and will find jobs to support ourselves.

Thanks
yes, you want to write a clear plan for your resettlement. people also include research done on areas/jobs/schools/housing, etc as well as letters of support from family/friends in canada. it's not required to have things set in stone, it's required to make CIC understand you'll be able to support yourselves without going on welfare. it's recommended to not use specific dates in your plans, because cic has been known to use that as reason to reject the application (they assume the couple isn't ready to settle immediately). it's better to say "immediately upon approval we plan to..."

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
RDG said:
Hi,

Being a Canadian Citizen, I have already sponsored my parents for their immigration. After being married to a person who is in the USA on F1(student visa), can I also sponsor him.

What if I am working in the USA under TN visa. Can I still apply for spouse immigration in the Canada.

Thanks
Is your parents PR app still in process, or is it already completed and they have landed in Canada as PRs?

Note that if still in process, a requirement of parents sponsorship is you must live in Canada until they are approved.

RDG

Sep 12, 2016
Thanks again.

Now I'm changing my topic little.

What if I don't get a job in the USA to get TN visa. I have an option to become his dependent (F2) to stay with him in the USA.

Can I still put a file for spouse immigration (while on dependent visa in the USA).

Thanks

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
RDG said:
Thanks again.

Now I'm changing my topic little.

What if I don't get a job in the USA to get TN visa. I have an option to become his dependent (F2) to stay with him in the USA.

Can I still put a file for spouse immigration (while on dependent visa in the USA).

Thanks
yes, this doesn't change the answer. you can sponsor him while you are living anywhere in the world. if you're not living in canada, you will need to show proof of your intentions to resettle immediately after approval.

RDG

Sep 12, 2016
Rob_TO said:
Is your parents PR app still in process, or is it already completed and they have landed in Canada as PRs?

Note that if still in process, a requirement of parents sponsorship is you must live in Canada until they are approved.
Parents PR file is not processed yet. So can't I go to USA on TN or dependent visa while that file is in process?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
RDG said:
Parents PR file is not processed yet. So can't I go to USA on TN or dependent visa while that file is in process?

Thanks
If you sponsored your parents for PR, then you cannot go to the US and must remain in Canada if you want your parents' application to continue to be processed. One of the requirements is that you (the sponsor) be living in Canada. If you move to the US and CIC figures this out, the application will be refused.