+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Conjugal Partner from States to Quebec

Jun 14, 2020
Hey there, my partner and I are engaged and would like to start the sponsorship process so that she can come live with me and apply for Permanent Residency/Citizenship eventually. I've been looking at this link which seems to give the general steps and checklist for applying to become a sponsor.

From what I understand: Step 1: Complete the sponsorship application package, send and wait for approval -> Step 2: Send undertaking agreement application -> Step 3: Permanent Residency by my partner once the undertaking is complete.

I'm nervous about messing up the application since Ideally we would like to be together by next year or so. I'd like to know if anyone else here has ever sponsored someone to Quebec from the States or somewhere similar and were these the three main steps they followed? I really don't want to miss any step and I feel like I'm missing a lot of information here.

Edit: Would it be easier for us to be legally married first? Or would we have to do it during/after the application?

Thanks a ton for reading!

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
You cannot sponsor your fiance unless married or in a common-law relationship. It would be easier to be married before submitting sponsorship as common-law requires you to have solid proofs of having cohabitated for 12 months minimum before submitting your application.

Jun 14, 2020
You cannot sponsor your fiance unless married or in a common-law relationship. It would be easier to be married before submitting sponsorship as common-law requires you to have solid proofs of having cohabitated for 12 months minimum before submitting your application.
What about Sponsoring as a Conjugal Partner, is it a similar process?

Or would it be much easier to get married first?

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019

You should look into Canada immigration's definition of conjugal, I don't think it applies to your situation (ie you would not qualify as conjugal partners).

Getting married is the easiest/fastest way for spousal sponsorship, and probably the most realistic right now. If you are not yet common-law, it would take you a minimum of 12 months before you could even apply. Does your fiance qualify for immigration on her own? (express entry, etc).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Conjugal is a non-started for a Canadian / US couple. You need to get married or live together for a year to become common law before you can submit the sponsorship application.

Jun 14, 2020
You should look into Canada immigration's definition of conjugal, I don't think it applies to your situation (ie you would not qualify as conjugal partners).

Getting married is the easiest/fastest way for spousal sponsorship, and probably the most realistic right now. If you are not yet common-law, it would take you a minimum of 12 months before you could even apply. Does your fiance qualify for immigration on her own? (express entry, etc).
I believe she does yes, we're willing to get married first we know that we'll just have to prolong the application to be wed first if we choose to. She meets all requirements on her own for immigration and has a state university accredited degree if that makes any difference.

It seemed to me according to the Canadian Government's website that we could apply as conjugal, but if it's extra hassle than I'd rather go for marriage first. I just want it to go as smooth as possible since we've been together for over six years and have yearned to close the gap.

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
I believe she does yes, we're willing to get married first we know that we'll just have to prolong the application to be wed first if we choose to. She meets all requirements on her own for immigration and has a state university accredited degree if that makes any difference.

It seemed to me according to the Canadian Government's website that we could apply as conjugal, but if it's extra hassle than I'd rather go for marriage first. I just want it to go as smooth as possible since we've been together for over six years and have yearned to close the gap.
It's not about the extra hassle, it's about you guys no qualifying for it at all - your application will get rejected and it would've been a wasted effort. I still believe that you guys getting married would create a faster timeline as I'm not sure that anyone who is outside of the country and qualifies to receive an ITA for express entry is actually receiving an ITA right now due to COVID-19.

Best of luck to you both! Get married asap, get your documents ready, and apply for spousal sponsorship :)