+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring child born in US

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Hi,
We are PR holders who landed in Canada in 2018 but never stayed in Canada. We plan on moving to Canada in a few months and will have more than 2 years remaining before our PR card expires.

Since our son was born in the US, he does not need a visitor visa to enter Canada. So can we apply for his PR immediately after entering Canada? Is it an issue that we haven't lived in Canada before we enter this time?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
We are PR holders who landed in Canada in 2018 but never stayed in Canada. We plan on moving to Canada in a few months and will have more than 2 years remaining before our PR card expires.

Since our son was born in the US, he does not need a visitor visa to enter Canada. So can we apply for his PR immediately after entering Canada? Is it an issue that we haven't lived in Canada before we enter this time?
As long as you return to Canada before three years has passed since you landed and left, you can sponsor him immediately after entering Canada.

The expiry date on your PR cards isn't what matters. What matters is when you first landed and became PRs. You want to make sure you aren't outside of Canada for three years or more from the time you originally landed to the time you return.

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
As long as you return to Canada before three years has passed since you landed and left, you can sponsor him immediately after entering Canada.

The expiry date on your PR cards isn't what matters. What matters is when you first landed and became PRs. You want to make sure you aren't outside of Canada for three years or more from the time you originally landed to the time you return.
Got it thanks. So we need not have spent 730 days in Canada before sponsoring my child as long as we will be able to meet the RO in the 5 years since we first landed. That means if I have more than 730 days remaining when I enter Canada I can immediately sponsor my child.am I right?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Got it thanks. So we need not have spent 730 days in Canada before sponsoring my child as long as we will be able to meet the RO in the 5 years since we first landed. That means if I have more than 730 days remaining when I enter Canada I can immediately sponsor my child.am I right?
Yes.