+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Adult Son

Mr. E.

Oct 22, 2021
I am a Canadian Citizen married to a Filipina who has lived in Canada now with me since I sponsored her in 2014. We are now in the process of sponsoring her adult son (my step son) to obtain his Canadian "PR" . The sponsorship application and the General application forms are ready for submission. Unfortunately, we are questioning if he actually qualifies under "Family Class" "Other Relative" ? He is my spouse's only son. Please, we are asking for clarification as to our options.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Mr. E.

Oct 22, 2021
As others have said, family sponsorship is not an option. Unfortunately he is too old.

He will need to qualify for PR independently through an economic immigration program like Express Entry. Details for this program are in the link below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html
Thanks for upfront info. I spent many hours 10 years ago completing the process of sponsoring my wife. This time I was attempting the same path to sponser her son, not considering the best option, instead the one time PR option. With the upfront few but realistic comments, we will now take the multiple year visitor option. Thanks

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Thanks for upfront info. I spent many hours 10 years ago completing the process of sponsoring my wife. This time I was attempting the same path to sponser her son, not considering the best option, instead the one time PR option. With the upfront few but realistic comments, we will now take the multiple year visitor option. Thanks
Keep in mind, it isn’t a multi year visa, it’s a multiple entry TRV. 6 months is the longest stay granted at entry for a TRV. Any extension beyond that will be at IRCCs discretion and needs to applied for separately.

Reactions: Mr. E.

Mr. E.

Oct 22, 2021
Keep in mind, it isn’t a multi year visa, it’s a multiple entry TRV. 6 months is the longest stay granted at entry for a TRV. Any extension beyond that will be at IRCCs discretion and needs to applied for separately.
Is it possible for me to apply from Canada for the visitor visa for my adult step-son? And, can we use my wife and my financial statements in support of the financial requirements. My step-son lives in the Philipines and has worked many years as an assistant manager of a Pandayan Book Store. His income is minimal and just meets his basic needs. We have subsidized his income for the past several years. Is it possible for us to gaurantee support financially for his visitor visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is it possible for me to apply from Canada for the visitor visa for my adult step-son? And, can we use my wife and my financial statements in support of the financial requirements. My step-son lives in the Philipines and has worked many years as an assistant manager of a Pandayan Book Store. His income is minimal and just meets his basic needs. We have subsidized his income for the past several years. Is it possible for us to gaurantee support financially for his visitor visa?
Your son is the one who applies for the TRV. In this application, you can include an invitation letter from you and your wife and indicate that you will cover the costs of his stay. However it's also very strongly recommended that your son show that he has his own savings and also demonstrates ties to his home country (e.g. proof of employment, proof of property ownership / rental, proof of other assets). If he has previous travel to countries requiring visas such as the US and UK, this will increase the chances of approval. He has relatively strong ties to Canada given his mother is here. So he will want to show quite strong ties to his home country to have a good chance of approval. Whether he is approved or not will depend on his profile, not yours.

Reactions: Kaibigan