+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Adult Children

Savak

Star Member
Jun 2, 2015
My uncle immigrated to Canada in 2008, he at the time failed to convince his wife and children to come to Canada and their PR cards expired. He however stayed and lived in Canada for 9 years and acquired the Canadian Citizenship, in his 9 years in Canada he was working in Canada as a security guard earning $17-18/hour. He had to go back to Pakistan in 2017 due to family circumstances. He is going to retire from his Pakistani govt job in Pakistan at the age of 60. He wants to then come back to Canada and work in Canada for 5 years till the Canadian Retirement age of 65.

He is trying to figure out is there any way he can manage to get Canadian Citizenship for his two adult children who are in their early twenties living in Pakistan. Apparently the Liberal Govt is now coming up with a legislation in which a Canadian Citizenship parent can easily transfer Citizenship to their kids. In the worst case scenario if he applies to sponsor the kids via the Family Class, how long can it realistically take him?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My uncle immigrated to Canada in 2008, he at the time failed to convince his wife and children to come to Canada and their PR cards expired. He however stayed and lived in Canada for 9 years and acquired the Canadian Citizenship, in his 9 years in Canada he was working in Canada as a security guard earning $17-18/hour. He had to go back to Pakistan in 2017 due to family circumstances. He is going to retire from his Pakistani govt job in Pakistan at the age of 60. He wants to then come back to Canada and work in Canada for 5 years till the Canadian Retirement age of 65.

He is trying to figure out is there any way he can manage to get Canadian Citizenship for his two adult children who are in their early twenties living in Pakistan. Apparently the Liberal Govt is now coming up with a legislation in which a Canadian Citizenship parent can easily transfer Citizenship to their kids. In the worst case scenario if he applies to sponsor the kids via the Family Class, how long can it realistically take him?
His children don't qualify for citizenship. The legislation you are referring to would only apply if he had obtained citizenship before his children were born. If he had become a Canadian citizen before his children were born, they would qualify for citizenship through descent. Since he obtained Canadian citizenship after their birth, they don't qualify.

How old are they right now exactly? In order to sponsor them again for PR, they would need to be under 22 years old. Once they are 22 years old or older, sponsorship will no longer be possible.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add to the above, his children can try applying for a PR Travel document under H&C saying they were removed from Canada as minors. It's possible the PRTD may be approved (although far from guaranteed). If the PRTD is approved, they could travel to Canada and live here for three years to qualify to apply for citizenship.

Or alternatively, they could try flying to the U.S. and re-entering Canada through a land border. If they are successful in entering Canada without being reported for failing to meet the residency requirement, they can remain in Canada for two years straight and then apply to renew their PR card - and after 3 years qualify to apply for citizenship.

Savak

Star Member
Jun 2, 2015
His children don't qualify for citizenship. The legislation you are referring to would only apply if he had obtained citizenship before his children were born. If he had become a Canadian citizen before his children were born, they would qualify for citizenship through descent. Since he obtained Canadian citizenship after their birth, they don't qualify.

How old are they right now exactly? In order to sponsor them again for PR, they would need to be under 22 years old. Once they are 22 years old or older, sponsorship will no longer be possible.
My mother successfully sponsored me to Canada being the principal applicant even though i was 27 years old.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My mother successfully sponsored me to Canada being the principal applicant even though i was 27 years old.
This must have been due to the lonely Canadian rule.

This won't apply to your uncle since he has a wife.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Or alternatively you have a misunderstanding about how you obtained PR. Sometimes people think they were sponsored by their parents when in fact they were included as dependents in their parents application. For example, if your mother happened to get PR through the live-in caregiver program, you would have been included as a dependent and your age locked in. These application used to take an extremely long time to process (still pretty long now) and that could have been another way you might have gained PR as an adult through your mother. But again, this wouldn't have been through your mother spnsoring you for PR - it would have been through being a dependent in her application.

Savak

Star Member
Jun 2, 2015
Or alternatively you have a misunderstanding about how you obtained PR. Sometimes people think they were sponsored by their parents when in fact they were included as dependents in their parents application. For example, if your mother happened to get PR through the live-in caregiver program, you would have been included as a dependent and your age locked in. These application used to take an extremely long time to process (still pretty long now) and that could have been another way you might have gained PR as an adult through your mother. But again, this wouldn't have been through your mother spnsoring you for PR - it would have been through being a dependent in her application.
My mother was healthy at the time. My parents tell me it was a miracle that i managed to get the PR at the time even though i was an adult and no longer a dependent. It was in their view a massive oversight by the Canadian immigration authorities

Savak

Star Member
Jun 2, 2015
So bottomline, in the worst case scenario if my uncle's kids are above 22 years old, then they will have to apply for the PR separately on their own account then?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
My mother was healthy at the time. My parents tell me it was a miracle that i managed to get the PR at the time even though i was an adult and no longer a dependent. It was in their view a massive oversight by the Canadian immigration authorities
The lonely Canadian rule does not mean the sponsor was unhealthy. It means the sponsor was all alone in Canada: No husband or common-law partner. No children. No other relatives as defined by law.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So bottomline, in the worst case scenario if my uncle's kids are above 22 years old, then they will have to apply for the PR separately on their own account then?
Yes, they would need to qualify on their own through an economic immigration program like Express Entry.

Savak

Star Member
Jun 2, 2015
Wasn't it the case where if a person had Canadian Citizenship his wife and kids become eligible to become permanent residents? Or is this only applicable to kids under the age of 18 or 22?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wasn't it the case where if a person had Canadian Citizenship his wife and kids become eligible to become permanent residents? Or is this only applicable to kids under the age of 18 or 22?
If they got citizenship after the kids were born they still need to be sponsored to get PR. Children under 22 qualify.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Only applicable to chldren under 22.

And it doesn't matter if the person is a Canadian PR or citizen. Rules are the same.