+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SPONSORING A SPOUSE

kashgrewal

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
i have a question on behalf of my friend he just got married in canada (inland). they only had court marriage. can he sponsor his spouse? or is there a time limit ?

Addus

Star Member
Mar 27, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga - Inland
App. Filed.......
27-04-2018
AOR Received.
01-06-2018
Med's Request
24-09-2018
Med's Done....
25-09-2018
LANDED..........
11-04-2019
There is no time limit to apply for spouse sponsorship once you are married. So assuming he's a Canadian Citizen or PR he can sponsor his spouse immediately.

You are still expected to show evidence of a genuine relationship etc. Just work through the checklist and forms etc, it shows everything you need.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
i have a question on behalf of my friend he just got married in canada (inland). they only had court marriage. can he sponsor his spouse? or is there a time limit ?
If your friend has legal immigration status in Canada, your friend could apply to sponsor their spouse immediately after marriage but ensure they.
  • were not sponsored by a spouse or partner and became a permanent resident less than five years ago
  • did not sponsor a previous spouse or partner and three years have not passed since this person became a permanent resident
Who can’t become a sponsor:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
thanks for all of your replies guys,one more question eh do he need to show up for an interview?
Upon review of your sponsorship application package, the Visa Officer will decide if you need an interview.

If you provided all the forms and necessary supporting documents according to the checklist, they may not invite you for an interview.

If anyone will be invited for interview is at the discretion of the Visa Officer.

Good Luck