+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a spouse for permanent residency questions

kristinickin

Aug 13, 2016
Hello!

I'm a Canadian citizen and my husband is from the US and we are moving to Canada next year - we will have been married for almost 4 years (been living abroad since he's in the US Air Force) when we do. We've started the application process and I was wondering a few things

- his passport expires in January and we are just waiting for it to be renewed. Do we need to have a photocopy of the updated passport to send in with the application? Or can we go ahead and send it in with a copy of the older passport?

-I'm having a hard time finding what the cost of submitting the application will be - does anyone have a guess? Not that it matters, but it'd be nice for it to not be a huge surprise Wink

-the current wait time says roughly a year which I hope isn't the case since the medical portion of the application is only good for EXACTLY a year - anybody have a guess of how long it may actually take?

any help is greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Send a photocopy of the current passport. CIC will likely request a copy of the new one at a later date.

2. $1040 (CAD) total:
$75 - Fee to sponsor
$475 - Fee for primary applicant
$490 - RPRF (Right of Permanent Residence Fee)

The RPRF can be deferred, but may cause added delays in processing.

Most U.S. citizens complete the entire process in ~ 6 months, because their portion of the application is usually processed in Ottawa. Only an applicant
with potential `Red Flags' (questionable relationship with their sponsor, criminality, etc.) would find their application being processed at a U.S. visa office.

Check the U.S. Outland thread here for real stories of how quickly this is happening for most Americans.