+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring a parent - your advice please

kelly

Mar 2, 2009
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum as a member, although have read some of the posts since just before I got my PR and moved to Canada, and I was impressed with the amount of info and assistance from people and hoping you can help me as well with some info/advice:
I'm new to Canada, and only had my PR for about 9 months-can I start to work on sponsoring one of my parents? or do I have to wait a certain amount of time before I can do that?

Also, is it better to utilize the services of a lawyer for this sponsorship? or can one do it by themselves (reason I'm asking is because when I started getting my paperwork done for the immigration to Canada I read in several places it was highly recommended to use a lawyer for Canadian immigration).

Any info and advice/suggestions you can share is highly appreciated.
Thanks

AMB

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Yes, you can begin the process to sponsor your parents any time. It doesn't matter how long you have been a permanent resident. You need to meet the financial guidelines though (you have to exceed the "Low Income Cut Off" for your family size). I would recommend reading the guide, so you know what you need to do and what you are getting in to.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5196E.PDF

You don't need the services of a lawyer- it's up to you. I would suggest finding a multicultural centre/settlement agency in your area, where people can assist you in filling the forms, and there are no charges.

Citizenship & Immigration Canada, and lots of other agencies and organizations would confirm that you DON'T need a lawyer for the majority of immigration applications. There are plenty of services that assist for no fee.

Maxy

Aug 6, 2008
Hello,

I sponsored my husband to become a permanent resident from Mexico and he was approved in Jan of this year. Now we want to sponsor his parents, but he hasn't been working for more than 12 months in Canada. The application for parental sponsorship asks for your income over the last 12 months, so does that mean he has to work in 12 months in Canada before applying? Also, I've obviously been working in Canada for the last 12 months, so if I co-sponsor, then can the "12 month period" that my husband needs to prove his income be waived?

Thanks!
Maxy

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Maxy said:
Hello,

I sponsored my husband to become a permanent resident from Mexico and he was approved in Jan of this year. Now we want to sponsor his parents, but he hasn't been working for more than 12 months in Canada. The application for parental sponsorship asks for your income over the last 12 months, so does that mean he has to work in 12 months in Canada before applying? Also, I've obviously been working in Canada for the last 12 months, so if I co-sponsor, then can the "12 month period" that my husband needs to prove his income be waived?

Thanks!
Maxy
You are missing a little point, it is that you (co-signer) and the sponsor (spouse) have to earn the sufficient income in the 12 months prior to the application to meet the LICO. For example if the LICO was $30K and you earned $40K in a month, you could apply after 1 month. Soon as your income reaches the LICO you can apply.

PMM

skywalker

Jun 8, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

Maxy said:
Hello,

Thanks!
Maxy
You are missing a little point, it is that you (co-signer) and the sponsor (spouse) have to earn the sufficient income in the 12 months prior to the application to meet the LICO. For example if the LICO was $30K and you earned $40K in a month, you could apply after 1 month. Soon as your income reaches the LICO you can apply.

PMM
dear PMM,

let's assume that, the subject spouse's parents have enough money to bring to canada, and they will not be a mass on you... in this case do they question the same issues?
thnx

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

skywalker said:
PMM said:
Hi

Maxy said:
Hello,

Thanks!
Maxy

PMM
dear PMM,

let's assume that, the subject spouse's parents have enough money to bring to canada, and they will not be a mass on you... in this case do they question the same issues?
thnx

Has no effect on the sponsorship

PP

sshamash

Jun 15, 2009
Sponsoring Parents

This forum is wonderful. I recently joined and have been extremely satisfied with some of the feedback, answers provided by senior members.

My questions is somehow related or similar to Maxy's and wanted to clarify some information provided.

I became a PR of Canada (through Skilled Worker) recently and have been living in Canada since early April 2009. I am in the process of starting a business in Canada, but do not have any income coming in yet. My wife currently works in Canada but over the last several years was in Florida working.

I would like to sponsor my parents who both live in Florida into Canada. As i cannot show adequate income:

1. Can I still qualify to sponsor my parents as my wife is willing to co-sign? She has proof of paystubs from her past job in U.S (2 years) and has been working in Canada for the past 2.5 months.

2. If i do qualify, when can I apply? From PMM previous point "For example, if the LICO was $30K and you earned $40K in a month, you could apply after 1 month. Soon as your income reaches the LICO you can apply." What is LICO? How much is LICO usually?

3. Any idea how long the application process takes? It took me approximately 3 years to receive my PR under the skilled worker program How long it takes to sponsor parents - application will probably be processed in Buffalo as they currently live in the U.S!

Thanking everyone in advance.

Sameer

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your wife can co-sign. Call CIC and ask to make sure he US income will count. If she just changed jobs, they may want to know that her Canadian income will not be less.

LICO is the low-income-cutoff-table. It tells you how much money you have to make to sponsor relatives. You can find it at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5196E10.asp scroll down to table 4 - LICO. It will tell you that if you and your wife are only 2 and you want to sponsor 2 people, you need income for 4 people which is $40,259 per year.

Approving sponsor for parents will take approximately 29 months according to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship and in Buffalo after that, average 10 months, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/08-fc-parents.asp#west However, your parents can still come visit you from the US while you wait.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
Your wife can co-sign. Call CIC and ask to make sure he US income will count. If she just changed jobs, they may want to know that her Canadian income will not be less.

LICO is the low-income-cutoff-table. It tells you how much money you have to make to sponsor relatives. You can find it at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5196E10.asp scroll down to table 4 - LICO. It will tell you that if you and your wife are only 2 and you want to sponsor 2 people, you need income for 4 people which is $40,259 per year.

Approving sponsor for parents will take approximately 29 months according to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship and in Buffalo after that, average 10 months, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/08-fc-parents.asp#west However, your parents can still come visit you from the US while you wait.
The spouse's US income would only count if she commuted to the US (unlikely to Florida) while residing in Canada and declared the income on her Canadian taxes. So with only the co-signer having only 3 months of work in Canada, it is unlikely they will meet the LICO. They will have to wait for the sponsor and co-signer to have sufficient income to meet the LICO prior to submitting the sponsorship. If they don't, they risk submitting the sponsorship and 29 months later it is refused by Mississauga for insufficient funds, and they have to start over again.

"5.31. Exceptions to Canadian income rule
The exceptions to the Canadian income rule are as follows:
• sponsors who commute from Canada to work in the U.S.A. can use their U.S.
employment income provided it is declared as income on their Canadian income
tax return;

PMM

easylover

Jun 18, 2009
I have a question about the application processing times on the cic.gc.ca website. Under the processing times for Sponsoring parents, I don't understand what is means "applications up to December 2006" have a processing time of 29 months? Does that mean applications made in 2009 are not even opened yet?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
easylover said:
I have a question about the application processing times on the cic.gc.ca website. Under the processing times for Sponsoring parents, I don't understand what is means "applications up to December 2006" have a processing time of 29 months? Does that mean applications made in 2009 are not even opened yet?
Yes, December 2006 was about 30 months ago so that is what they are opening now.

nabeez

Jun 26, 2008
Is the LICO measured after or before tax?

In other words, if my annual salary is $60k and my employer cuts $20k income tax, so I get $40k to my pocket. and my LICO is $50K can I apply?

My income is calculate after tax or before tax?

I's appreciate your fast response.

Thanks a lot,
Nabil

easylover

Jun 18, 2009
Thanks Leon for the reply, so in effect we can expect that applications filed in 2009 will be opened/reviewed 30 months from now. When an application is opened/reviewed what is the additional processing time? Any estimates on this?