+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a parent to QC

Elene_Ruby

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Very unlikely that a home will allow you to qualify. LICO is actually pretty low considering cost of living in many cities. If you have a 2 million dollar house fully paid for but don't meet LICO the house may be considered because you could sell and move to something more affordable and use the funds to support yourself. If you have millions in the bank that is not generating income that might be considered by Quebec. If you have a 300K house with a mortgage on it that's not going to be considered. You can apply but the LICO rates are quite low and you would struggle to support your parents on less. I know in Ontario families will have to pay for long term care beds or hospital beds if the individual is stuck in hospital waiting for a longterm care bed. Canadians have to use their pensions to pay for the bed but without a pension the family must pay around $1000/month. Having to meet LICO is not a punishment it is to ensure the family can actually support the parent or grandparent. You are already in Quebec so you can start working more than one job and could increase your income starting next year and apply the next year. Now that CAQ is in power all these requirements may change.
I have heard of someone who brought a parent with a very law income and their house
Your point seems logical. I guess we would know for sure if someone who has used the house in financial evaulation to meet LICO comments here.

I used some investments to meet LICO

My friend's friend used a house they lived in.. they had low income. But I dn't know the details of that case..