+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a child who was a former PR

steven_wuqida

Mar 29, 2020
Hello everyone,

I’m 18 and got my PR a year ago as a dependent on my father’s application to settle in Quebec and both my parents are currently living there. I’m planning on attending college here in the US (for various reasons) and then moving to Canada. Since I will probably not be able to meet the residency requirements, would it be possible for me to simply give up my PR and have my parents sponsor me again once they become Canadian citizens (suppose I’m still under 22 then)?

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

I’m 18 and got my PR a year ago as a dependent on my father’s application to settle in Quebec and both my parents are currently living there. I’m planning on attending college here in the US (for various reasons) and then moving to Canada. Since I will probably not be able to meet the residency requirements, would it be possible for me to simply give up my PR and have my parents sponsor me again once they become Canadian citizens (suppose I’m still under 22 then)?

Thanks!
How long have you spent in Canada since becoming a PR? You may be able to still meet the Residency Obligation if you spend summers and breaks in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Yes, it will be possible. They don't have to be Canadian citizens to sponsor you.

One thing to keep in mind is that the dependent age was lowered to 19 at one point. Always some chance this could happen again.

K0c4nbi3t

Sep 5, 2015
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
If I were you, I would not take this risk. Stay here or wait till you got citizenship then do whatever you want. its too risky to trade these things.