Sponsoring a Child. What forms?

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone!

I sponsored my common law partner from the Philippines 1.5 years ago. At the time we had no choice but to leave her daughter in with her grandparents.
Now we believe we are ready to bring her daughter here

But not sure what is involved.
So I have some questions as this forum was a HUGE help with our application....thanks for that!

1. What forms do we need to fill out? Is there a link?

2. I believe we need to get the child's biological Father's signature. Anything else we need?

3. If the Father decides he doesn't want to sign...do we have options? We're afraid he may try to ask for a bribe! Argh!
or just refuse to sign to be difficult

4. If he does sign...how long does it last. Can we wait or do we need to bring her daughter right away?

thanks so much!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Boracay said:
1. What forms do we need to fill out? Is there a link?
Basically the same forms that you filled out previously (though the fee to sponsor a child is much lower than the fee to sponsor an adult family member). They are there in the family sponsorship of the CIC website.

Boracay said:
2. I believe we need to get the child's biological Father's signature. Anything else we need?
Yes, you must have a notarized affidavit from the father (assuming the mother does not have sole legal custody as established by court order). Canada will not be party to child abduction through immigration, which is why this step is necessary.

Boracay said:
3. If the Father decides he doesn't want to sign...do we have options? We're afraid he may try to ask for a bribe! Argh!
or just refuse to sign to be difficult
You would need to seek a court order granting custodial rights to the mother and stripping them from the father.

Boracay said:
4. If he does sign...how long does it last. Can we wait or do we need to bring her daughter right away?
It should last indefinitely. He doesn't get to "change his mind" after the fact and I've never heard of CIC asking for anyone to "refresh" such an affidavit.

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good news since I wrote this post

The maternal Father has agreed to sign and notarize any legal forms.

I know I have seen this particular form before. But I can not find it. Can anyone help me locate it?
It's a form where the 2nd parent would sign. A form where the parent gives legal permission for the child to be immigrated to Canada.

If I'm not correct and this form from CIC does not exist. What exactly is an affidavit and how can we draft one up?

thanks!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Hi Boracay, it is nice to hear everything is going well.
There is a form the biological father will have to sign in the additional forms section for the Philippines.
IMM 5604:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3905e.pdf

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
I'm surprised no one has asked or mentioned . . . was her daughter put on "her" application form AND examined as a "dependent"? I suppose everyone assumed "yes" as indeed it does sound as though you did but had to leave her behind as non-accompanying.

gango girl

Apr 3, 2013
truesmile said:
I'm surprised no one has asked or mentioned . . . was her daughter put on "her" application form AND examined as a "dependent"? I suppose everyone assumed "yes" as indeed it does sound as though you did but had to leave her behind as non-accompanying.
truesmile is correct i also wondering why anybody did not mention about this.
Boracay, did you mention your step daughter in your common-low partner's application as a dependent child? otherwise it'll be a problem & they will ask why didnt you mention her as your partners dependent in the application? if you mentioned it'll be ok. & she should be under 22 years old to your partner to sponsor her. i hope everything will be alright for you all.... good luck...

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the forms Canadian Woman! Exactly what I was looking for.

Do you know if we require the ORIGINAL copy once it's signed and notarized?

Our hopes are to send the notary the papers direct, and then tell the Father to show up to the office with ID and sign the papers and then get the notary to send us the papers.
The reason is that personally I don't believe the father is competent enough to download the papers, bring them in, get them signed and then send to us. He doesn't even have an email address or own a computer.

Truesmile and Gango Girl: Yes....We mentioned her daughter and the story why we weren't applying to immigrate her at the time