+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a child stuck plz help

alberta2019

Star Member
Sep 13, 2018
Hi,

I have recently completed 730 days inside Canada to be back in compliance, and now want to sponsor my son already residing with me in Canada. He entered as a visitor on visa-exempt passport and over stayed. He is just 7 yrs old and I did not want to leave him alone back home.

While filling the child sponsorship forms, they are asking for CHILD 'proof of your status in Canada'

I am not sure what to do?
When they will see his outdated passport stamp, and see him being out of status since last 2 years. I am afraid they might reject the sponsorship application?
They are also asking father's PR copy, it is expired but in compliance now, expired card will be a problem?

Anyone knowledgeable plz plzzz help?

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Was this child born before or while either of you were in the process of getting your PR? If yes, was the child declared on your PR applications?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I have recently completed 730 days inside Canada to be back in compliance, and now want to sponsor my son already residing with me in Canada. He entered as a visitor on visa-exempt passport and over stayed. He is just 7 yrs old and I did not want to leave him alone back home.

While filling the child sponsorship forms, they are asking for CHILD 'proof of your status in Canada'

I am not sure what to do?
When they will see his outdated passport stamp, and see him being out of status since last 2 years. I am afraid they might reject the sponsorship application?
They are also asking father's PR copy, it is expired but in compliance now, expired card will be a problem?

Anyone knowledgeable plz plzzz help?
The issue is you were supposed to extend the visitor status every 6 months. Your child has overstayed their visa for at least 1.5 years.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
child born after we became PR
Okay, that's good. I asked because family members that are not mentioned in PR applications are automatically forever excluded from the family class so wanted to see if that applied to you.

As far as I know, status and its expiry is not a reason for refusal in family class applications. There's been a lot of cases of spouses applying where the applicant had been out of status for months or years. These applications are usually scrutinized more, but the child being out of status wouldn't be grounds for refusal alone or automatically.

I'm not sure if there are any extra steps you'd need to take other than filling out a normal application package and writing a letter of explanation regarding the status. I also don't know about the father and his PR status. So I'd wait for some other replies first.

alberta2019

Star Member
Sep 13, 2018
I also don't know about the father and his PR status. So I'd wait for some other replies first.
Father status is back in compliance but obviously current PR card is expired, so will be attaching the copy of expired PR card to sponsor son's application

Last edited:

alberta2019

Star Member
Sep 13, 2018
1- can anyone else please advise my child OOS, and my expired PR card will not cause any problem for sponsorship application??

2- shall I apply inland or outland, would that make any difference?
I dont have any plans to travel, so happy with inland, the only worry some thing is my son being OOS and without OHIP

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
1- can anyone else please advise my child OOS, and my expired PR card will not cause any problem for sponsorship application??

2- shall I apply inland or outland, would that make any difference?
I dont have any plans to travel, so happy with inland, the only worry some thing is my son being OOS and without OHIP
1. It won't be an issue.

2. There is no inland option to sponsor a child.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
How outland app will work? he will need to travel home country to attend interview?
I cannot send him alone, and traveling with family will be expensive which I cannot afford at this time :(
theoretically yes. But who wants to interview a kid...

alberta2019

Star Member
Sep 13, 2018
theoretically yes. But who wants to interview a kid...
you are right, perhaps they may just wanted to see child in person for ID validation perspective etc

Is it confirmed inland is not a option for child applications? I do not understand this

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
How outland app will work? he will need to travel home country to attend interview?
I cannot send him alone, and traveling with family will be expensive which I cannot afford at this time :(
There will not be an interview for child sponsorship.

you are right, perhaps they may just wanted to see child in person for ID validation perspective etc

Is it confirmed inland is not a option for child applications? I do not understand this
Yes, it is confirmed. You only need to look at the application options to see this.

alberta2019

Star Member
Sep 13, 2018
Once we submit his outland application, is there a chance a deportation order will be issued as he is out of status??

That will become very complicated if our 7 yr old son has to leave, as than we parents will leave along him in order not to leave him alone :( , but we will not be able to enter in canada again even though our RO are now in compliance after living for 2 years...but our PRs cards are expired!

I am just too concerned after so much hard work we are now fully settled in canada, got job house etc...but if our son gets deported it will screw our whole Canadian dream to settle down here.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Once we submit his outland application, is there a chance a deportation order will be issued as he is out of status??

That will become very complicated if our 7 yr old son has to leave, as than we parents will leave along him in order not to leave him alone :( , but we will not be able to enter in canada again even though our RO are now in compliance after living for 2 years...but our PRs cards are expired!

I am just too concerned after so much hard work we are now fully settled in canada, got job house etc...but if our son gets deported it will screw our whole Canadian dream to settle down here.
No, your child will not be deported.