+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsored PR

scuba ken

Star Member
May 13, 2013
I am marrried to a Canadian Citizen and been here working on a work permit for several years (runs out in December 2015) I live, work and pay taxes here, I am told i am a PR for tax purposes ? I applied for PR through the family sponsorship program and sent the forms through a immigration service to be processed in the UK, I have receive a letter in January confirming that the case has been transferred to the UK handling centre (i think it was called this).
Roughly how long should/would/might a PR take from start to finish ?
I have completed medicals, police checks and paid the monies, September last year.

Thank you for all your advice

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Tax resident and PR have nothing to do with each other.

If you're in Canada for more than 183 days, you're a tax resident. You may also be a tax resident just because you're earning income here (although I'm not sure about that part.)

You are not a permnent resident just because you have to file taxes.

If you are unsure, call Revenue Canada. That's how I got my answers.

London VO processes 80% of applications in 9 months or less. Many people are done in 5-7 months. There is no one that can tell you for sure, but you can say it's probably you will be done by Fall.

scuba ken

Star Member
May 13, 2013
Understand the resident for tax purposes, I was pointing out i seemed t be allowed to be called resident by the tax people, which also resulted in a fine and interest being applied back to last year as well ? Lucky boy ! LoL

I am happily paying taxes here at the highest rate, which. Might add isn't all that bad, i believe I have to leave canada and re enter to activate the PR ?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
scuba ken said:
Understand the resident for tax purposes, I was pointing out i seemed t be allowed to be called resident by the tax people, which also resulted in a fine and interest being applied back to last year as well ? Lucky boy ! LoL

I am happily paying taxes here at the highest rate, which. Might add isn't all that bad, i believe I have to leave canada and re enter to activate the PR ?
You either have to leave and/or flagpole (which you don't actually leave) or book an appointment at your local office to conduct the landing. The local office sometimes can takes months to book you.

canadian-gentleman

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
Congratulations from this internet stranger!

It's a long journey - I've been living in Canada since 2014, became a PR this year (2021) and can apply for citizenship in 2023. That's means I will become a citizen in 2024 - only 10 years after choosing to live in this grand land!

Is it worth the effort? Absolutely!