+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsored Parents - RO not met and Passport Expired

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am starting to lose hopes.
Will we have to disclose that my dad was working in India while away from Canada.?

Any thoughts on renouncing the PRs and me reapplying Parents Sponsorship? Dont know how Canadian Government feels about reapplying folks who lost the PR because of RO.
Why wouldn't you let your parents take their chances? Yes, your dad will need to be honest with CBSA.

Btw, how do you feel that you sponsor them to immigrate Canada but they cannot meet their RO and might lose the PR? Was it a waste of time and money?

Ranvir Moore

Feb 9, 2018
I know there's going to be a risk involved and we may or maynot get reported at the POE upon re-entry.

But what I learnt during this discussion is that they might not have their Alberta health coverage when they come back to Canada.
Although my parents are holding up well and do not have any major health issues but given their age (77, 68), this is a big concern.
As per https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-apply.aspx , in order to be elgible people have to be legaly entitled to live in the country and should
not have any expired immigration documents (among other things). My parents did seek medical advise upon arrival in 2013, but my gut feeling is that the next time they show up for service Alberta Health Care might deny it; unless some unexpried immigration documents are furnished. Even if we don't get reported at POE, we still won't have a sufficient proof to justify that we meet the requirements. Whereas if we do get reported and go through the Appeal proceedings, it could take months-year(s) to get the final verdict; hence no Health Care coverage.
This is the key reason why I am re-thinking/re-evaluating the plans to enter from the border crossing.
Please do let me know if I am mis-informed on the above details.

If I go the PRTD route, I might not have as solid of a case to get the required approvals.

Hence considering my options of renouncing and re-applying for parents sponsorship from scratch :(

As per your question above, we applied for their immigration with all good intents. My dad became a Certified Canadian Arbitrator through https://adric.ca/ and was planning to pursue a law program in Canada. But somehow things did not materialize. Although he is well over his retirement age, but he is quite passionate about his work.
He left Canada to resume his Law practice back home and has been working there since. But because of extended closure of courts due to COVID, he is having some serious thoughts of retiring from his profession and joining me in Canada.

Cheers!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I know there's going to be a risk involved and we may or maynot get reported at the POE upon re-entry.

But what I learnt during this discussion is that they might not have their Alberta health coverage when they come back to Canada.
Although my parents are holding up well and do not have any major health issues but given their age (77, 68), this is a big concern.
As per https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-apply.aspx , in order to be elgible people have to be legaly entitled to live in the country and should
not have any expired immigration documents (among other things). My parents did seek medical advise upon arrival in 2013, but my gut feeling is that the next time they show up for service Alberta Health Care might deny it; unless some unexpried immigration documents are furnished. Even if we don't get reported at POE, we still won't have a sufficient proof to justify that we meet the requirements. Whereas if we do get reported and go through the Appeal proceedings, it could take months-year(s) to get the final verdict; hence no Health Care coverage.
This is the key reason why I am re-thinking/re-evaluating the plans to enter from the border crossing.

If I go the PRTD route, I might not have as solid of a case to get the required approvals.

Hence considering my options of renouncing and re-applying for parents sponsorship from scratch :(

As per your question above, we applied for their immigration with all good intents. My dad became a Certified Canadian Arbitrator through https://adric.ca/ and was planning to pursue a law program in Canada. But somehow things did not materialize. Although he is well over his retirement age, but he is quite passionate about his work.
He left Canada to resume his Law practice back home and has been working there since. But because of extended closure of courts due to COVID, he is having some serious thoughts of retiring from his profession and joining me in Canada.

Cheers!
There's no easy or clear path for them. No matter which option you go with there will be risks and challenges.

If you go the route of renouncing and reapplying, keep in mind that the earliest you will be able to enter the lottery and hope you are selected as a sponsor is next year (2022). And of course since there are limited spots available, there's no guarantee you will be selected and able to apply next year. That's of course one of the big downsides of that option.

Good luck deciding.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Cheers!
You are unfortunately correct on the problems you may face with the border crossing, we can't decide or even offer much advise on what you should do, just inform you on the advantages and disadvantages of each option. Unfortunately at this stage you have limited options and none of them are great.

The PRTD route as you mentioned is not very likely to have a positive outcome based on your listed reasons but has the advantage of being a clear answer: either you get it or you don't, at least you'll know and can make new plans...most likely based on the fact that they lost PR and therefore need to plan for that.

The border crossing is your most likely chance of them keeping their PR but comes with the risks you listed above. You may find some insurance coverage for them though that will be costly but potentially could mitigate that problem if they are not reported (not familiar with insurance coverage available in this situation though, others may know more). It comes also with the problem of them having to stay 2+ years straight so in case of emergency, they would not be able to travel outside the country without risking again their PR.

Renouncing would make things very clear, but it has a significant impact: you need to be aware that due to the lottery system, they may NEVER be able to acquire PR again. You may be able to get visas/super visas for them to visit fairly long term, but it would not be permanent and would not offer health coverage either. If you don't get selected (approximately 20% only get selected each year), that is a significant consequence. You also need to ensure you meet the financial criteria for the past 3 years each time you put your name in the draw.

At this point depending on your circumstances, you may take your chances, have them come through land border, hope for the best and look at health coverage if available for those 2 years (even if costly it would at least give you piece of mind). If reported or health coverage is not available and adding stress, then renouncing will still be available at that time. Since you can't put your name in the draw this year and the next one will likely be towards the end of 2022, that gives you some time to adapt.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are unfortunately correct on the problems you may face with the border crossing, we can't decide or even offer much advise on what you should do, just inform you on the advantages and disadvantages of each option. Unfortunately at this stage you have limited options and none of them are great.

The PRTD route as you mentioned is not very likely to have a positive outcome based on your listed reasons but has the advantage of being a clear answer: either you get it or you don't, at least you'll know and can make new plans...most likely based on the fact that they lost PR and therefore need to plan for that.

The border crossing is your most likely chance of them keeping their PR but comes with the risks you listed above. You may find some insurance coverage for them though that will be costly but potentially could mitigate that problem if they are not reported (not familiar with insurance coverage available in this situation though, others may know more). It comes also with the problem of them having to stay 2+ years straight so in case of emergency, they would not be able to travel outside the country without risking again their PR.

Renouncing would make things very clear, but it has a significant impact: you need to be aware that due to the lottery system, they may NEVER be able to acquire PR again. You may be able to get visas/super visas for them to visit fairly long term, but it would not be permanent and would not offer health coverage either. If you don't get selected (approximately 20% only get selected each year), that is a significant consequence. You also need to ensure you meet the financial criteria for the past 3 years each time you put your name in the draw.

At this point depending on your circumstances, you may take your chances, have them come through land border, hope for the best and look at health coverage if available for those 2 years (even if costly it would at least give you piece of mind). If reported or health coverage is not available and adding stress, then renouncing will still be available at that time. Since you can't put your name in the draw this year and the next one will likely be towards the end of 2022, that gives you some time to adapt.
In terms of health coverage they may be able to find insurance coverage that covers everyday care minus preexisting conditions but it would be extremely expensive if it exists. The less expensive option would be to pay for emergency medical insurance and pay for routine care out of pocket. Like any other traveller if you have a medical event you will likely be covered for the emergency part but once stabilized you are usually expected to return home to continue treatment.

Renouncing and reapplying has no negative impact on applications. It is essentially viewed as someone not settling in Canada for a variety of reasons who is now ready to settle and so is reapplying.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Cheers!
Think your family has to examine your risk tolerance. If they attempt to come to Canada when not knowing if they’ll be able to remain it is very difficult and probably not advisable to get rid of your housing, your possessions, etc. in your home country in case you need to return. There is also the decent risk of having a serious medical event for 2+ years. What would you do if that is the case. Would suggest taking out more than 100k coverage if you do take out travel medical insurance. Your parents should never lie to IRCC. It would be very easy for them to find out that your father had returned to working as a lawyer when he went back to India. Believe they needed to have been in Alberta for over 6 months to meet the residency requirements to access healthcare at that point. It is now 12 months. If they spent less than 6 months in Alberta in 2013 they could be asked to pay back any services they used.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

While perhaps drifting into advice - but as something to consider, given all the uncertainty -

You might consider simply renouncing and applying instead for the supervisa for the parents. Situation would be more clear - in terms of status, ability to travel and what type of health care they would be paying for - and while not permanent residency, it does not close off the possibility of them applying in future.

My reasons for raising this are - prospects of PRTD approval seem very low; getting through without being reported not high; limitations on travel and etc might be very serious; there does not seem to be much evidence either of your parents have real ties to or interest in Canada and adjusting at that age may be very difficult; and, your father may be considering retiring but may have some interest in continuing to practice on an ongoing basis (even if part-time, and possibly some remotely).

With supervisa they could calmly come and go and spend about as much time in Canada as they like (with some limitations) and would not be stressed about travel back to home country (seems some other family and professional ties remain). The downsides are pretty obvious, it's not permanent residency and costs of health care - which do not seem as large downsides in their particular situation given the other uncertainties.

Of course, this is dependent on getting the supervisa which is not guaranteed.

Again, not advice, but a variation to consider.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
While perhaps drifting into advice - but as something to consider, given all the uncertainty -

You might consider simply renouncing and applying instead for the supervisa for the parents. Situation would be more clear - in terms of status, ability to travel and what type of health care they would be paying for - and while not permanent residency, it does not close off the possibility of them applying in future.

My reasons for raising this are - prospects of PRTD approval seem very low; getting through without being reported not high; limitations on travel and etc might be very serious; there does not seem to be much evidence either of your parents have real ties to or interest in Canada and adjusting at that age may be very difficult; and, your father may be considering retiring but may have some interest in continuing to practice on an ongoing basis (even if part-time, and possibly some remotely).

With supervisa they could calmly come and go and spend about as much time in Canada as they like (with some limitations) and would not be stressed about travel back to home country (seems some other family and professional ties remain). The downsides are pretty obvious, it's not permanent residency and costs of health care - which do not seem as large downsides in their particular situation given the other uncertainties.

Of course, this is dependent on getting the supervisa which is not guaranteed.

Again, not advice, but a variation to consider.
Think that parents need to think about their tolerance for risk, their ability to deal with uncertainty for potentially a number of years, their concerns about free access to healthcare and potentially needing to keep a residence in India in case they need to return. There is no clear solution or clear answer to their situation and luck is a pretty big factor in some of the situations. Nobody will be able to give advice about route they should take.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Think that parents need to think about their tolerance for risk, their ability to deal with uncertainty for potentially a number of years, their concerns about free access to healthcare and potentially needing to keep a residence in India in case they need to return. There is no clear solution or clear answer to their situation and luck is a pretty big factor in some of the situations. Nobody will be able to give advice about route they should take.
I misphrased what I meant at the beginning there - the intention was without drifting into advice (for all the reasons you mention), to provide one alternative to consider.

Ranvir Moore

Feb 9, 2018
Sorry folks for a late reply.
As per the note above Alberta health could come back to me to reclaim some of the services they offered back in 2015, because the parents didn't meet RO. When could this become a concern? Because they were still in PR when they got the services?
Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry folks for a late reply.
As per the note above Alberta health could come back to me to reclaim some of the services they offered back in 2015, because the parents didn't meet RO. When could this become a concern? Because they were still in PR when they got the services?
Thanks!
Did they spend over 6 months in Alberta that year? Believe the rules were that you had to spend 6 months in Alberta to qualify for health coverage but you must now spend the first 12 months in Alberta. They could be asked to repay any services they used if they were in Alberta for less than 6 months. It seems to be hit or miss whether they will be asked to pay. Alberta and all the other provinces are trying to prevent people from coming to Canada for a few months using medical care and leaving Canada without even being a tax resident and paying taxes. Alberta grants healthcare on arrival so many were also landing and having a baby in Alberta and leaving after the 6 months or moving to another province. I assume that is why there is now a 12 month requirement when you reenter Alberta or enter the 1st time.

Ranvir Moore

Feb 9, 2018
I see.I see what you’re saying. When I landed as a PR back in 2005 in Ontario I was been told that there’s a three month hold to get healthcare. But when I moved to Alberta in 2007 I was surprised to know that there was no such restriction. Guess folks have abuse that privilege enough for the provincial government to backoff on that policy.
And no they did not stay for six months in 2015. They were here for close to three months.
Right now I am exploring two options:
1. Renouncing PR
2. Filing for PRTD

Could either of these Options trigger the question about paying off the services which we used in 2015? Given the fact that they did have intentions to live in the province when they moved in?

FYI… Landing was claimed in 2013 and the move was made in 2015 with intentions to stay here for good.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I see.I see what you’re saying. When I landed as a PR back in 2005 in Ontario I was been told that there’s a three month hold to get healthcare. But when I moved to Alberta in 2007 I was surprised to know that there was no such restriction. Guess folks have abuse that privilege enough for the provincial government to backoff on that policy.
And no they did not stay for six months in 2015. They were here for close to three months.
1. Renouncing PR
2. Filing for PRTD

Could either of these Options trigger the question about paying off the services which we used in 2015? Given the fact that they did have intentions to live in the province when they moved in?

FYI… Landing was claimed in 2013 and the move was made in 2015 with intentions to stay here for good.
Nothing will free them from paying back the service that they don't qualified and received.

Any day they go back to Alberta, (in whatever status) they should be prepared to pay back for the service.

Ranvir Moore

Feb 9, 2018
I see. Good to know.

Also, if in case they do get approved for and get PRTD, would this document be sufficient for them to reactivate Healthcare?
(after returning to Canada)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. Renouncing PR
2. Filing for PRTD

There are still other requirements to retain Ontario healthcare during your first year (rules are different after the first year). You must remain in Ontario for the first 5 out of 6 months and stay in Ontario for 6 out of the 12 months. Every province have their own residency requirements to retain health coverage. In general you usually must spend enough time in the province to be a tax resident.