+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsored My Husbands Daughter , Am I eligible for Parental Leave?

tintin79

Jan 28, 2011
Scarborough, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2011
AOR Received.
28-12-2011
File Transfer...
10-01-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2011
Interview........
genuineness determined no need for interview
Passport Req..
05-02-2013 and they're still holding on to it as ARC is still in process from Dec 12 2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
I sponsored my husband, his PR finally got approved in July 2018 and his daughter who 8 and was in Jamaica got her PR in August 2018 as we put her on his application. She flew down here immediately and she's in school and adjusting well.

Now my question is I am currently using up time off from work helping her get adjusted but I wanted to know am I eligible for parental leave for 1 year. Does anyone have an answer, I'm being told YES and then NO and now EI is telling me they have to look into it. I possibly have to officially adopt her, has anyone been through this.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I sponsored my husband, his PR finally got approved in July 2018 and his daughter who 8 and was in Jamaica got her PR in August 2018 as we put her on his application. She flew down here immediately and she's in school and adjusting well.

Now my question is I am currently using up time off from work helping her get adjusted but I wanted to know am I eligible for parental leave for 1 year. Does anyone have an answer, I'm being told YES and then NO and now EI is telling me they have to look into it. I possibly have to officially adopt her, has anyone been through this.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/laws-regulations/labour/interpretations-policies/parental-leave.html

This refers specifically to "natural" and "adoptive" parents. There is no mention of "step parents" or "guardians".

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM

If you simply marry someone who has children, you are not eligible. If you adopt them, you may be eligible under EI's adoptive parents provisions.

Reactions: scylla