+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsored my child, received COPR. What next?

muzmil

Feb 11, 2008
Were you in Canada at the time? Did the instructions say to, ahem, NOT do that? But instead to contact them or send it to Ottawa?

I'm actually surprised that the New York vac/vfs sent it to you in Canada.

At any rate, right now by far the easiest way for you to get the boy landed properly is to drive to the USA and drive back.
I am in a similar situation, the request for PR has been sent via email and from the home country consulate but the letter says if i am in Canada i can send the passport to Ottawa as well within 30 days. I don't have any plans to travel back to send the passports,. Do you guys advise if sending the passport to ottawa is the correct decision ? Also , what will be the next steps once i have sent my passport ? Kindly advise. Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am in a similar situation, the request for PR has been sent via email and from the home country consulate but the letter says if i am in Canada i can send the passport to Ottawa as well within 30 days. I don't have any plans to travel back to send the passports,. Do you guys advise if sending the passport to ottawa is the correct decision ? Also , what will be the next steps once i have sent my passport ? Kindly advise. Thanks
I suggest strongly that you contact IRCC (webform or phone) and advise that you are IN Canada. Hopefully they will propose to do a virtual landing, which is a way of doing it within Canada using computers. (Frankly it's odd they haven't updated the letters to cover the virtual landing process)

Question: did you change your address to Canada once you arrived here? (You should have). If you did not, ALSO do a change of address.

This may take 2-4 weeks or even more to hear back from them. You will need PR photos per the instructions eventually so may as well get them.

muzmil

Feb 11, 2008
I suggest strongly that you contact IRCC (webform or phone) and advise that you are IN Canada. Hopefully they will propose to do a virtual landing, which is a way of doing it within Canada using computers. (Frankly it's odd they haven't updated the letters to cover the virtual landing process)

Question: did you change your address to Canada once you arrived here? (You should have). If you did not, ALSO do a change of address.

This may take 2-4 weeks or even more to hear back from them. You will need PR photos per the instructions eventually so may as well get them.
The issue is they have given 30 days to submit passport , if i wait for IRCC to reply i will miss the deadline . I think best way is to send the PP as they requested and wait to hear back from
them in terms of the next steps .

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The issue is they have given 30 days to submit passport , if i wait for IRCC to reply i will miss the deadline . I think best way is to send the PP as they requested and wait to hear back from
them in terms of the next steps .
I think sending the passport risks running into the situation the poster above had (although less likely because they sent it to NY).

Really, strongly recommend calling and seeing if this instruction is still in force.

And had you updated your address to show you were in Canada before?

muzmil

Feb 11, 2008
I think sending the passport risks running into the situation the poster above had (although less likely because they sent it to NY).

Really, strongly recommend calling and seeing if this instruction is still in force.

And had you updated your address to show you were in Canada before?
No didn't update the address because was just on visit here for 2 months - I called IRCC but due to high call volume call gets terminated each time. What's the risk of sending PP to Ottawa , Can anyone kindly elaborate ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No didn't update the address because was just on visit here for 2 months - I called IRCC but due to high call volume call gets terminated each time. What's the risk of sending PP to Ottawa , Can anyone kindly elaborate ?
See the posts above - poster got a visa/copr while in country and fixing it afterward is harder - much harder.

But hey - your life, go ahead.

Reactions: muzmil

muzmil

Feb 11, 2008
See the posts above - poster got a visa/copr while in country and fixing it afterward is harder - much harder.

But hey - your life, go ahead.
COPR is the document we need to present at Port of entry and the agent then take the photos and apply for PR card ?

muzmil

Feb 11, 2008
Yes. Again, it means you'd have to travel. If it happens this way.
Thanks, so if that happens , I probably have to exit Canada and then come again to complete landing process. I can probably take a trip to 1-2 days Cuba or do flag polling at land border.. do you see any risk in this approach ?

namzy4u

Oct 28, 2022
Hi Forum members,

I sponsored my child under family sponsorship and he received his COPR (Confirmation of PR). We currently reside in Canada already and he is a US citizen so he is visa exempt.

Previously, my wife and I went to the IRCC office (in Etobicoke, Toronto) and completed the In-land landing process and applied for a PR card but now it looks like IRCC is issuing any appointments. I tried to reach customer care but no one was answering. I read even a flagpole is not possible due to Covid-19 restrictions.

What is the process for applying for a PR card and completing the landing process? Please let me know if you aware of the latest process.

Much appreciated!

Thanks!
Harish
Hi Harish- Can you let me know how what did you provide as proof of entry/visitor record for your US citizen child while applying for PR sponsorship?