+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsored mother (PR) move from Ontario to Alberta

ctejada90

Feb 12, 2021
My mother (71 yo) was sponsored by my sister in 2017 and got her Permanent Resident status in 2020 (with possibility to renew in 2025).
My sister signed a sponsorship agreement for 20 years, my mother's address is my sister's in Ontario.
My husband and I are planning to move to Alberta in May 2024 and my mother will come live with us.
My sister is claiming that she will be charged money for any health procedure that is not covered in Alberta and that my mother will need a private insurance as she is responsible for her day-to-day needs.
I thought that I could change my mother's health card as soon as we moved to AB as we are planning to stay in there at least for 2 years. So now I am here left with the following questions:

Is changing my mother's health card from ON to AB possible?
Will I be able to change my mother's residence address if my sister signed a sponsorship agreement for 20 years?
Will we be able to re-apply for my mother's Permanent Residence once the current expires in 2025?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My mother (71 yo) was sponsored by my sister in 2017 and got her Permanent Resident status in 2020 (with possibility to renew in 2025).
My sister signed a sponsorship agreement for 20 years, my mother's address is my sister's in Ontario.
My husband and I are planning to move to Alberta in May 2024 and my mother will come live with us.
My sister is claiming that she will be charged money for any health procedure that is not covered in Alberta and that my mother will need a private insurance as she is responsible for her day-to-day needs.
I thought that I could change my mother's health card as soon as we moved to AB as we are planning to stay in there at least for 2 years. So now I am here left with the following questions:

Is changing my mother's health card from ON to AB possible?
Will I be able to change my mother's residence address if my sister signed a sponsorship agreement for 20 years?
Will we be able to re-apply for my mother's Permanent Residence once the current expires in 2025?
- Yes, she can change to an AB health card if she moves
- Yes, you can change your mother's address
- Whether she can apply to renew her PR card in 2025 will depend on whether she meets the residency obligation and not the province where she is living

Reactions: YVR123