+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsored common-law asked to prove intent to reside

Moving.montreal

Jan 7, 2018
Hi everyone,

I haven`t found any info here about this; hopefully some of you can help.

I am a Canadian citizen and so is our child.
We applied or an OUTLAND Sponsorship for my common-law partner from Argentina, while we were both still living there. (Late March)

He got a visitor Visa (multiple entries)

We then settled in Quebec in late May. I signed our lease because the landlady told me he cannot sign it being a tourist.
We got the Quebec Selection Certificate and his application for PR was sent to the Mexico Visa Office.

Yesterday, he got an email asking him to send in the Quebec Selection Certificate.
Today, he got a second email, adding he has to send in some kind of proof of intent to reside in Canada, such as: a lease agreement, a job offer, employment contract, mortgage...
All things he does not or even cannot have since he is here as a tourist right now.

I feel it is weird they are asking for this since it is a family sponsorship and we are a couple (and his child, a minor, is Canadian and residing in Canada).
Has this happened to any of you?
What kind of proof can we provide?

Thank you so much!

Greetings,

Claudia

Erigh04

Oct 22, 2018
That's very interesting, normally they ask for proof to reside when the sponsor is living abroad (didn't think they would ask that of the applicant since that's the intention of applying).

Maybe you could ask the landlord to write a letter stating that your family currently lives there? And maybe letters from you family and friends acknowledging that he is already in Canada with you and your child?

Moving.montreal

Jan 7, 2018
Thank you Erigh04,

we are thinking of everything we can show to prove he is here, and I also find their request very strange, since, as you say, the purpose of our application is to get him to come live with us.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
The proof of intent to reside wording is a bit weird, as that's usually aimed at sponsors living abroad. Are you sure this isn't addressed to you as the sponsor? Canadian citizens who sponsor while living outside Canada must prove their intent to move back once the PR application process is complete. Make sure that's not the case.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
As an aside, tourists can still get quite a few things that prove that they reside in the same place as their sponsor and that they've combined their matters to a high degree.

When I was applying, I couldn't do a lot of common things, such as open a bank account or sign a lease agreement, but I sent all sorts of mail that was sent to me at our address, we put my name on our utilities as well, I got a supplemental credit card to my wife's and the letter the bank sent to me with the card included was also something I sent, mail from Alberta Healthcare (in Alberta visitors can get insured through their spouse), etc. Basically, I tried to send as much "serious" or "official" mail I could that showed our address as my own. We own our house so I was put on the house title as a co-owner, but people who rent often ask their landlords to write a letter confirming the person is living there.

If he has been here for five months, you must have done some stuff already? Is he a beneficiary of your insurances, did you add him to a family phone plan, did you add his name to any of the utilities (we did that online where we changed how they address our mail so that it's addressed to us both, even though in reality only my wife was on the hook for the payments), etc?

We approached it by basically putting my name wherever we could where we could both declare me as a spouse and declare my address. By the time we were submitting, we ended up having to leave some stuff out because we actually had too much. Admittedly, it might be harder for you as you guys aren't married so I probably had more options in that sense, but try and think out of the box and really, whatever proof you can send, send it.

Moving.montreal

Jan 7, 2018
Thanks np08,

I also think it is weird, but he did receive the email under his name, to his email address, under the request for the Quebec Selection Certificate.

Weird is also the fact he got the email a day after they had just requested his QSC...as if they had somehow forgotten to ask for proof of intent to reside the day before...

Moving.montreal

Jan 7, 2018
Great ideas np08: we are going to find out what we can get done from these.
So far, we were told he could not even get a phone contract, so we did not bother to get bills under his name since this request he got is not something we were expecting.

As an aside, tourists can still get quite a few things that prove that they reside in the same place as their sponsor and that they've combined their matters to a high degree.

When I was applying, I couldn't do a lot of common things, such as open a bank account or sign a lease agreement, but I sent all sorts of mail that was sent to me at our address, we put my name on our utilities as well, I got a supplemental credit card to my wife's and the letter the bank sent to me with the card included was also something I sent, mail from Alberta Healthcare (in Alberta visitors can get insured through their spouse), etc. Basically, I tried to send as much "serious" or "official" mail I could that showed our address as my own. We own our house so I was put on the house title as a co-owner, but people who rent often ask their landlords to write a letter confirming the person is living there.

If he has been here for five months, you must have done some stuff already? Is he a beneficiary of your insurances, did you add him to a family phone plan, did you add his name to any of the utilities (we did that online where we changed how they address our mail so that it's addressed to us both, even though in reality only my wife was on the hook for the payments), etc?

We approached it by basically putting my name wherever we could where we could both declare me as a spouse and declare my address. By the time we were submitting, we ended up having to leave some stuff out because we actually had too much. Admittedly, it might be harder for you as you guys aren't married so I probably had more options in that sense, but try and think out of the box and really, whatever proof you can send, send it.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Great ideas np08: we are going to find out what we can get done from these.
So far, we were told he could not even get a phone contract, so we did not bother to get bills under his name since this request he got is not something we were expecting.
He can't get a phone contract himself, but you can add whomever you want to a family phone plan. He can't open a bank account, but you can give anyone a supplementary card to your account. He can't get additional health coverage on his own (dental, vision, etc), but he can be added to yours.

That's the key - add him to wherever you can and then send all of it in.

My wife pretty much just went through every possible service, utility, bank, insurance, etc she had and looked for options to add spouses, family members, beneficiaries, etc. Immigration already knows you can't do a lot of things as a visitor, but there are many that can be done or where the obstacle can be circumvented.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Thanks np08,

I also think it is weird, but he did receive the email under his name, to his email address, under the request for the Quebec Selection Certificate.

Weird is also the fact he got the email a day after they had just requested his QSC...as if they had somehow forgotten to ask for proof of intent to reside the day before...
That's weird as they asked for, "A lease agreement, a job offer, employment contract, mortgage," knowing full well a foreigner (especially one applying outland who most likely isn't even in the country) without a work permit or a valid non-visitor status can't get any of these basically. But it's the exact wording used when sponsors are required to prove their intent to move back to Canada.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
Have you informed IRCC that you have moved back to Canada? As you applied outland, apparently from Argentina, part of your application may be stuck in the "Canadian citizen applying outside Canada to sponsor a spouse" pathway. This request is normal for this kind of an application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

I haven`t found any info here about this; hopefully some of you can help.

I am a Canadian citizen and so is our child.
We applied or an OUTLAND Sponsorship for my common-law partner from Argentina, while we were both still living there. (Late March)

He got a visitor Visa (multiple entries)

We then settled in Quebec in late May. I signed our lease because the landlady told me he cannot sign it being a tourist.
We got the Quebec Selection Certificate and his application for PR was sent to the Mexico Visa Office.

Yesterday, he got an email asking him to send in the Quebec Selection Certificate.
Today, he got a second email, adding he has to send in some kind of proof of intent to reside in Canada, such as: a lease agreement, a job offer, employment contract, mortgage...
All things he does not or even cannot have since he is here as a tourist right now.

I feel it is weird they are asking for this since it is a family sponsorship and we are a couple (and his child, a minor, is Canadian and residing in Canada).
Has this happened to any of you?
What kind of proof can we provide?

Thank you so much!

Greetings,

Claudia
The intent to reside requirement is for the sponsor, not the applicant. They are asking for proof of your intent, not his. As asked above, did you both update IRCC with your Canadian address?

Reactions: canuck78