+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsored as an Outland application

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
I submitted my spousal PR + OWP application, and it was received by Mississauga CPC on June 29, 2020.
I just called the IRCC today to check on the progress of my application and I received my prospective AOR number.
However, I found out that for some reason my application was an outland application, rather than an inland application.

On the checklist (IMM5533) #5. Class of Application
I'm confident that I ticked off the "I am currently living in Canada with my sponsor, and I am applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class." The application was mailed to the correct address as well, and I checked off including an Open Work Permit application.

Did I not fill out the right documents?
I'm confused as to why this happened.. should I call again?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I submitted my spousal PR + OWP application, and it was received by Mississauga CPC on June 29, 2020.
I just called the IRCC today to check on the progress of my application and I received my prospective AOR number.
However, I found out that for some reason my application was an outland application, rather than an inland application.

On the checklist (IMM5533) #5. Class of Application
I'm confident that I ticked off the "I am currently living in Canada with my sponsor, and I am applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class." The application was mailed to the correct address as well, and I checked off including an Open Work Permit application.

Did I not fill out the right documents?
I'm confused as to why this happened.. should I call again?
Do you have a copy of the docs you submitted to confirm it?

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
Do you have a copy of the docs you submitted to confirm it?
Yes and I think I found the issue...

On one of the forms, it states "The principal applicant is your: Spouse living outside Canada" That's the one I chose

While I think I was supposed to pick "Spouse living inside Canada"

I had some issues with the CBSA before and he said I couldn't "live" in Canada and was only allowed to visit. So I took that to heart and that's why I didn't consider myself living in Canada.

That's the only part that I checked which I guess deemed me as an outland applicant. However, on the checklist, I checked off applying for inland + OWP and submitted the OWP application as well.

I'm still in the stage of the prospective AOR. I submitted a web form explaining my mistake and hope that they're able to fix it. I also called a second time, and the agent said she'd leave a message on my application saying I'm applying for inland.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020

On one of the forms, it states "The principal applicant is your: Spouse living outside Canada" That's the one I chose

I had some issues with the CBSA before and he said I couldn't "live" in Canada and was only allowed to visit. So I took that to heart and that's why I didn't consider myself living in Canada.

That's the only part that I checked which I guess deemed me as an outland applicant. However, on the checklist, I checked off applying for inland + OWP and submitted the OWP application as well.

I'm still in the stage of the prospective AOR. I submitted a web form explaining my mistake and hope that they're able to fix it. I also called a second time, and the agent said she'd leave a message on my application saying I'm applying for inland.
Is your spouse inside Canada with you right now ? If yes send copies if passport or visa or entry stamps through webform.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Yes, you were supposed to pick "spouse living inside of Canada". This is the question that determines if your application is inland or outland.

Generally speaking, you cannot switch between the two. You would need to withdraw the outland application and reapply inland.

Having said that, no harm trying and telling them it was an error. Who knows, it might work. Good luck!

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
Is your spouse inside Canada with you right now ? If yes send copies if passport or visa or entry stamps through webform.
Yes, my spouse is a Canadian citizen that lives in Canada.

Yes, you were supposed to pick "spouse living inside of Canada". This is the question that determines if your application is inland or outland.

Generally speaking, you cannot switch between the two. You would need to withdraw the outland application and reapply inland.

Having said that, no harm trying and telling them it was an error. Who knows, it might work. Good luck!
I see.. yeah I figured that was the issue. I'm hoping that my checklist (where I picked inland application + OWP) along with my OWP application submission is enough for them to deem it as a mistake and fix it. I sent my application to CPC-Mississauga, rather than CPC-Syndey as well, so maybe that'll make a difference?
I'll be calling IRCC Monday to get an update with my situation.

Thanks for the replies!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

I see.. yeah I figured that was the issue. I'm hoping that my checklist (where I picked inland application + OWP) along with my OWP application submission is enough for them to deem it as a mistake and fix it. I sent my application to CPC-Mississauga, rather than CPC-Syndey as well, so maybe that'll make a difference?

Thanks for the replies!
It's really hard to say. That specific question is really the one that drives whether you are inland or outland.

Anyway, all you can do is try.

Reactions: Naomi.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks for the replies!
One more thing... You don't have implied status right now since your application is being treated as outland. Make sure you extend your status in Canada / keep your status here valid.

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
One more thing... You don't have implied status right now since your application is being treated as outland. Make sure you extend your status in Canada / keep your status here valid.
Yes, I know. I currently have implied status from applying for a visitor extension. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: scylla