+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor wife for convention refugee

Sara Khaled

Nov 16, 2018
Hello,

I applied for PR after receiving notice of decision. I added my spouse to my PR application. Apparently, the process is taking so long, so I have to questions:
- Can I apply for open work permit for my spouse?.
- I know I can travel using a travel document, but for how long I can stay abroad?, I am thinking to stay in another country where my spouse could come for about 6months. Is this going to affect my application?.

I wish you could help..

jack_2001

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
#No you can't apply for open work permit for your spouse as she isn't legally living in Canada
#what is the third country?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I applied for PR after receiving notice of decision. I added my spouse to my PR application. Apparently, the process is taking so long, so I have to questions:
- Can I apply for open work permit for my spouse?.
- I know I can travel using a travel document, but for how long I can stay abroad?, I am thinking to stay in another country where my spouse could come for about 6months. Is this going to affect my application?.

I wish you could help..
Your wife does not qualify for an OWP.

Sara Khaled

Nov 16, 2018
Many countries are not allowing visitors or longterm visitors due to covid.
I can have a residency in some countries where I could stay with my spouse, but the question is: as a convention refugee waiting for my PR, am I allowed to reside outside Canada until I get my PR?. I don't of course intend to go back to my home country

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I can have a residency in some countries where I could stay with my spouse, but the question is: as a convention refugee waiting for my PR, am I allowed to reside outside Canada until I get my PR?. I don't of course intend to go back to my home country
Would personally recommend living somewhere else for around 2 years. You are really supposed to be setting up your life in Canada so you are ready to receive your family.

Sara Khaled

Nov 16, 2018
Would personally recommend living somewhere else for around 2 years. You are really supposed to be setting up your life in Canada so you are ready to receive your family.
Is it illegal or is it going to affect your application if lived oustide Canada temporary unitl getting my PR?.