+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor was not approved because of mistake of Social Services Office

Alex770

Jan 18, 2011
Hello!
My name is Alex. I applied to sponsor my wife to Mississauga , but
received a refuse letter , saying that I am not approved to be a
sponsor . The reason - because I am in default on previous undertaking. In fact I
was not in default. The Social Services office simply did not update my
file on time after I cleared the debt on my prev. sponsorship. Social Services are fixing my record
now , but decision has been already made . The sponsorship application will be now forwarded to Moscow and reviewed with negative recomendation , which will lead to refusal of entire application
What should I do now ? Any useful idea is appreciated

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
You should wait for confirmation that your case has been updated by social services then reapply.
Who did you sponsor previously?

Alex770

Jan 18, 2011
pinklady said:
You should wait for confirmation that your case has been updated by social services then reapply.
Who did you sponsor previously?
I sponsored my mom back in 2002. In 2003 she applied for walfare and my sponsorship agreement was broken
The same year we returned all the money received from goverment , but the Social Services did not update the record on time

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alex770 said:
I sponsored my mom back in 2002. In 2003 she applied for walfare and my sponsorship agreement was broken
The same year we returned all the money received from goverment , but the Social Services did not update the record on time
You should have received a letter from Social Services explaining that you had cleared the debt.
That letter should have been included in your application.

Anyone who has had a default listed on a previous sponsorship should call Social Services and ask for a letter explaining the current status.

Alex770

Jan 18, 2011
Baloo said:
You should have received a letter from Social Services explaining that you had cleared the debt.
That letter should have been included in your application.

Anyone who has had a default listed on a previous sponsorship should call Social Services and ask for a letter explaining the current status.
Does it say anywhere in the application form ? Is not it obvious that the record is clear automatically after the debt was repaid ?

What's the best possible solution in this situation now ?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alex770 said:
Does it say anywhere in the application form ? Is not it obvious that the record is clear automatically after the debt was repaid ?

As far as I know it does not say on the application form, but as a person who has previously sponsored it is something to check.

How did you pay the debt, did you have a record of payment?

How did you answer IMM1344A Question 7?
Have persons you previously sponsored or their family members received social assistance during the validity period of the undertaking?

Alex770

Jan 18, 2011
Baloo said:
As far as I know it does not say on the application form, but as a person who has previously sponsored it is something to check.

How did you pay the debt, did you have a record of payment?

How did you answer IMM1344A Question 7?
Have persons you previously sponsored or their family members received social assistance during the validity period of the undertaking?
I returned all the cheques (2 in total) They were neve cashed and were shipped back to Social Services upon receiving

I answered that question "NO" because nothing was received

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alex770 said:
I returned all the cheques (2 in total) They were neve cashed and were shipped back to Social Services upon receiving

I answered that question "NO" because nothing was received
The cheques were never cashed and sent back to you?
That should have been something you looked into at the time.

Alex770 said:
I assume that you got some sort of notification that you were in default, as you sent cheques to cover the debt.

I would suggest that you contact social services, explain the situation and get details of any outstanding debt, make the payment and get a letter to prove that you are no longer in default.
Include a copy of the letter with your application and ask them to notify CIC.
Without clearing the debt you will not be allowed to sponsor.

The normal process in Ontario is:

Sometime after the applicant claims welfare, you would be notified by letter that you as the sponsor are in default of the (in your case, first) agreement. This is not immediate, it can take months.

You make an arrangement to pay in one lump sum or in part payments.

When the debt is finally paid, you are no longer in default of the sponsorship agreement. A letter is sent to you telling you that the debt is paid. Another letter is sent to CIC to confirm the same.

If you finish the sponsorship period with no other default and want to sponsor someone else, answer yes to IMM1344A Question 7; include a letter explaining what happened in the past and the letter that states you are no longer in default.

Then you will be allowed to sponsor (assuming no other issues exist to prevent this).

Alex770

Jan 18, 2011
Thanx for explanation
Sounds like you know the process

But I never received a penny from the Social Services
They send me 2 cheques which where NEVER cashed by me and returned to social services immediately upon receiving

I never had a debt in first place and it was nothing to repay

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alex770 said:
Thanx for explanation
Sounds like you know the process

But I never received a penny from the Social Services
They send me 2 cheques which where NEVER cashed by me and returned to social services immediately upon receiving

I never had a debt in first place and it was nothing to repay
I am confused by your statement that you never had a debt because you said in your first post -
The Social Services office simply did not update my
file on time after I cleared the debt on my prev. sponsorship.

Either way the thing to consider is the system is likely to have "seen" cheques issued and that would be registered as a payment (even though you did not cash the cheques).

Did social services or anyone send you a letter, during or after the first sponsorship agreement, telling you that you were in default?

I don't believe you have that many options, you will have to resolve it with Social services before you can sponsor again.

sierra_rose

Jun 15, 2010
hi alex,
i dealt with a similar situation a couple years ago.had you any idea you would have chosen the option of returning your application if you are found to be ineligible to sponsor.since that wasn't done,the only thing to do is appeal,which is a long process,or wait until you have gotten your refusal letter and re apply. if you paid all your fees you will get it back minus the application fees.CIC will not approve this application once it has already been refused.your best bet is to get the proof from the social services and apply again,make sure that you include the proof along with a letter of explanation from social services if you can get them to write one for you.good luck.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, in this sort of case it would have made sense to select "withdraw if found ineligible to sponsor".

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Would it be better for the OP to notify CIC and the Moscow office that he wants to withdraw the application? Otherwise he will have to wait for the application to be processed at the visa office, where it will be refused because the sponsor is ineligible. But it will take a while to process the application and send out the refusal letter. If he withdraws the application now, he can reapply right away, once he gets the proof he needs from Social Services. If he waits for the refusal letter, that could be months away.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianwoman said:
Would it be better for the OP to notify CIC and the Moscow office that he wants to withdraw the application? Otherwise he will have to wait for the application to be processed at the visa office, where it will be refused because the sponsor is ineligible. But it will take a while to process the application and send out the refusal letter. If he withdraws the application now, he can reapply right away, once he gets the proof he needs from Social Services. If he waits for the refusal letter, that could be months away.
100% agree.

Alex770

Jan 18, 2011
Hello every 1
Thanx for your input
Some update :

I phoned to CIC Mississauga and they suggested as following :

Get the letter from Social Services and
forward it to Moscow office. This may give me a hope that Moscow officer will consider me a valid sponsor even a negative recommendation is already filed by Mississauga

Anyone thinks it's a chance ? main reason - I was not in ACTUAL default , no money i was owing at the time of submitting the application
It was just a recor not updated on time by other government organization (Social Services)