+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor travel history for dual citizen/multiple countries of residence

winterjack

Dec 1, 2023
I'm sponsoring my French husband through the family class option. I am a dual US/Canada citizen. I was born/raised in the US. We currently live together in Canada.

I was a resident of three countries during the last 10 years.

For the sponsor of this application, it's indicated in IMM5562 that I must list all my travel in the last 10 years:

List all trips your spouse or common-law partner has taken outside of their country of origin or of residence in the last 10 years (or since their 18th birthday if this was less than 10 years ago). Include all trips: tourism, business, training, etc.

It seems like this question is trying to get at "trips outside of one's home base at time of travel". (1) Is that correct?

Therefore, (2) do I need to document trips to my country of origin (US) while residing outside of it?

And (3) I assume I must document travel between my countries of residence, at times when I was not residing in them, is that also correct? (e.g trips to Canada while residing in the US?)

(4) Won't it look confusing, if I have a few years with regular trips to Canada, and then none at all (due to becoming a resident of Canada 4 years ago)?

Thanks in advance!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
For the sponsor of this application, it's indicated in IMM5562 that I must list all my travel in the last 10 years:

List all trips your spouse or common-law partner has taken outside of their country of origin or of residence in the last 10 years (or since their 18th birthday if this was less than 10 years ago). Include all trips: tourism, business, training, etc.
Sponsor in a family/spouse application does NOT need to list their travel, at all. (That form is also used for non-spousal partnerships where the spouse will also be a foreign national.) This is true for both Canadian citizens and PRs who are sponsoring.

Reactions: YVR123