IELTS Request
Submitted Upfront
Med's Request
Submitted Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
Not Needed at this Time
My wife, who is a Canadian citizen, and myself (an American citizen) are thinking of moving up to Canada permanently. We have been living in the U.S. for the past five years. If she was to Sponsor me via a Spousal Application, can she do it from outside the country? Or would she need to move back first and we'd have to live separately for 17 months?

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
You can do it from outside, but you need to provide proof that you're going to move back to Canada once it's approved.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AmericanMovingToCanada said:
My wife, who is a Canadian citizen, and myself (an American citizen) are thinking of moving up to Canada permanently. We have been living in the U.S. for the past five years. If she was to Sponsor me via a Spousal Application, can she do it from outside the country? Or would she need to move back first and we'd have to live separately for 17 months?
She can sponsor you from US, but she will have to include evidence that she is in process of returning to Canada or is going to return to Canada upon approval of the application.
The other option is you two can first move to Canada (you will be just "visiting") and then apply from within Canada but for Outland application stream, this seems to go quite fast for American nationals.

Dec 8, 2015
New York
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Submitted Upfront
AOR Received.
21/01/2016
IELTS Request
Submitted Upfront
Med's Request
Submitted Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
Not Needed at this Time
sashali78 said:
She can sponsor you from US, but she will have to include evidence that she is in process of returning to Canada or is going to return to Canada upon approval of the application.
The other option is you two can first move to Canada (you will be just "visiting") and then apply from within Canada but for Outland application stream, this seems to go quite fast for American nationals.
Really? How fast?

Dec 8, 2015
New York
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Submitted Upfront
AOR Received.
21/01/2016
IELTS Request
Submitted Upfront
Med's Request
Submitted Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
Not Needed at this Time
sashali78 said:
Some are 6 months or so, definitely under a year for the most.
Thanks!