+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor sister to care for aging mother

wanabecanadian

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Hello all,

I am a canadian citizen and my mother who is a PR is currently recovering from a big surgery that didn't go to well. My sister is currently visiting canada on a visitors visa and seeing how much my mother needs in terms of her recovery and after talking to my sister, we think it would be better if she applied for PR so she can stay and help my mother. We feel her condition will improve but as she ages, she will need my sister more and more.

How straight forward is it to sponsor her to immigrate as a caregiver to my mother (also her mother).

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

I am a canadian citizen and my mother who is a PR is currently recovering from a big surgery that didn't go to well. My sister is currently visiting canada on a visitors visa and seeing how much my mother needs in terms of her recovery and after talking to my sister, we think it would be better if she applied for PR so she can stay and help my mother. We feel her condition will improve but as she ages, she will need my sister more and more.

How straight forward is it to sponsor her to immigrate as a caregiver to my mother (also her mother).

Thanks
Which province are you in? Quebec or another province? Unfortunately it's generally not a straight forward process and processing times are years.

Does your sister have paid work experience as a caregiver?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello all,

Thanks
If you don’t live in Quebec, she needs to apply through the HSWP program. Your mother needs to be eligible to pay for a full time caregiver with her income and register a business for payroll purposes. Can you afford a full time caregiver? Your sister needs to be eligible with ECA and IELTS. Given it is a family member, her application will be heavily scrutinized because IRCC will ask what care your mother has needed in the past. Processing through the program is about 32 months.

Last edited:

wanabecanadian

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Ontario.

She has a lot of experience helping with elderly (she had helped alot with my late father as well) but unfortunately it wasn't in Canada and it wasn't paid. Yes I can afford to employ her and my mother did not need the help she needs now due to her recent surgery. 32 months is the current processing timeline?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ontario.

She has a lot of experience helping with elderly (she had helped alot with my late father as well) but unfortunately it wasn't in Canada and it wasn't paid. Yes I can afford to employ her and my mother did not need the help she needs now due to her recent surgery. 32 months is the current processing timeline?
Yes, the first stage, which includes a work permit, currently has a 32 month estimated processing timeline.

She will need to apply through the less than 12 months work experience option since her experience was unpaid.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Ontario.

So get business registration number. Prepare job offer with full time salary being the median for your region. Your sister needs ECA and IELTS. Read through the HSWP requirements. You will want to arrange care for your mother over the next 32 months since she is recovering from surgery. You will want to show that she requires full-time care over the long term. This includes dressing, feeding, housekeeping etc.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ontario.

The big issue is that she may need to leave Canada while her file is processed and without any forms training as a caregiver it will be difficult to justify that she is a caregiver and not just a daughter helping her mother. Helping another family member is not the same as having formal training as a caregiver. Hiring a family member to be a caregiver will always be difficult due to many families using the system purely fir immigration purposes. Processing is taking years and unless your sister is independently wealthy and doesn’t have to work while having strong ties to her home country like a home to return to, she is unlikely to be able to extend her stay as a visitor for years. How long has she been in Canada already and when did your mother have surgery? Did she get the TRV to come for the surgery?