+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor questions

r-marko

May 12, 2014
Hi,
I will be sponsoring a friend from South America who was accepted into a college in Canada. But, the immigration website is unclear/cryptic about how to go about declaring oneself a sponsor. First, do I need to send my friend the funds before they apply for the student visa? Or, since I am going to be the sponsor, do I keep the funds in my bank account? Second, I vaguely recall reading that I need to write a letter to immigration about my intent to sponsor; however, I can't find that website page again. Does anyone know where I find the sponsor letter information? Once I am done with the letter, do I send the letter to my friend, so they can then send it to immigration, or do I send the letter to immigration?
I am glad this forum exist. The Canadian immigration doesn't provide much help in the immigration process.
Thanks!
Cheers!

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Because you are a friend and not a relative I think transferring funds to your friend account is the better way for HIM(/her) to get better chances to get SP. Not so sure about you. I, myself, would NEVER ever do that.
So you could try to write an affidavit (notarized) about your intentions. Supply CIC with proof that you have money and they are not you last savings, you have a good job and so on. Write a letter to VO explaining every detail. You do not need any form, just write a convincing letter and let you friend include it and the affidavit with his/her application.

r-marko

May 12, 2014
Thanks for the information. Sorry for my lack of knowledge in the immigration lingo, but what/who is VO?