+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor on parole! PLEASE HELP ME!

Z

Zeinab20

KarenCee said:
This is what I was thinking as well. Plus you have mentioned that your family is concerned about all this, are you taking their concerns into consideration? Sometimes parents are pretty wise - I feel you would do well to listen to their concerns.

From personal experience....get that education. Get that degree because a good education will take you a long way and provide for you in order to support yourself. IF he loves you like he says he does, he will not rush you into marriage this soon and will wait for you.

Be very careful my dear...whatever you decide to do when you visit. :)
My family is basically saying that I should give up on him. Because they don't want me to get involved with his situation. We were over rushing things yes. And I should just study and take my time with him.
I just need to clear my mind..

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
if you are going to canada, do you have family there as well?
perhaps you will want to stay with your relatives in the first few days
or perhaps you will just want to let them know you are there and have their numbers as emergency numbers just in case? u will also want to have a special visa card for any emergency and ensure that your parents know exactly where you re stayng and the name of this guy. also have you ever googled his name? or checked out his facebook profile to see what kinds of friends he has or anything?

when my hubby came for the first time to met me, he stayed by some friends for 2 weeks. After which itrusted him to come and stay with me. when i went over to stay with him, i met his parents (which is important to guage his family life) and i also checked his entire apartment. :0 yes i went through some bills etc

at the end of the day, the very first time he met me in person after a year of convo...he wanted to marry..i felt that he was the one but we waited a year (multiple trips to each other) before doing so.

Z

Zeinab20

nylalisa said:
So this is my opinion... I can't say much about meeting someone for the first time and getting married, after nearly 9 months of "dating" online, I travelled knowing I had the approval of parents on both sides to get married. With that being said, I KNOW what kind of ride I am in for with an IO to bring my husband here. And honestly, with the best intentions or no this creates a great amount of stress on two people who are living apart and newly married. I suspect I am older than you, I have completed a few degrees, I am a year from being a lawyer, there is absolutely no criminality in my background, but given we met and married on our first visit together... I know this poses a difficult case to us.

You can bet for sure, whether or not he is LEGALLY allowed to sponsor you, you both will be scrutinized... You have to remember that as long as decisions are well motivated, an IO has plenty of discretion in their decision. I suspect taht when it comes to you, you are young, I don't know the age difference between you both but I am sure it will be a factor if it's too great. They will worry about the fact that he is on parole. This is a risk factor, as he will be responsible for you for 3 years upon approval of your PR. It's a risk because he is of risk of going back to jail if he re-offends or violates his parole in any way. Then who is gonna care for you?

Another issue is by your own admission, you don't have the support of your family. They will look at this, who knows about your relationship, what do they think of it? They will look at things like life experience too, you said about completing your degree...things like this. I suggest you do this, as everyone has clearly clearly told you multipple times in multiple ways, get to know each other, there is no rush, get some life experience under your belt. Go to school work, travel a bit and come and see him. A true relationship will stand the test of time. Trust me you have no idea what it is like to mary somoene and then return to your home country and not see them except for once or twice a year. If you plan to do school, travelling will become harder and harder.

Everyone has a different case, but some are more straight forward then others, and trust me, but trust me many memebers can attest to a more simple case then yours and having a hard time getting their spouse here, even getting denied. Listen to the memebers, take your time, no need to rush. To be honest if I could go back and do it again, I would visit a a few more times before getting married. This has nothing to do with my relationship with my husband, I made a great choice in him. But our lives would be so much easier infront of immigration.

Sorry for the rant, just thought I should give it straight how I see it.... it's complex!!!
Nylalisa, you and all the members that replied to my post are right. We don't need to rush and especially not in this situation. I don't know the age difference between you both but I am sure it will be a factor if it's too great. The difference in our age is 4years. And yes it is complex, but it is the reality unfortunately and we need to cope with it, I now realize the best way to do that is with patience...

Z

Zeinab20

whoopsydaisy said:
If I'm not wrong I think Zeinab mentioned somewhere in this thread that her parents won't allow her to live with her boyfriend prior to marriage. Perhaps this may be the reason why they want to get married so quickly? I don't know. If I'm wrong, Zeinab, please forgive me. And I must add that what the others have said here are very true. :) All the best to you.
Whoopsydaisy, no need to say sorry. ;) If I'm not wrong I think Zeinab mentioned somewhere in this thread that her parents won't allow her to live with her boyfriend prior to marriage. Perhaps this may be the reason why they want to get married so quickly
I am happy that you are the only one that notes my purpose of why me and my boyfriend want to marry soon. You can understand that I am in a conflicting situation.. My family would absolutely NOT like it us being just 'boyfriend and girlfriend'.... Yes, my families ideal might be not modern but that is why I wanted to marry soon, to respect my families values.. But, if this will affect my future plans with my boyfriend to negative then I will have to make a choice. I don't want to marry soon and with the possibility that Immigration Canada would confront this with us and decline the application for a sponsorship after 4years. I don't want to risk that.

Z

Zeinab20

HoneyBird said:
if you are going to canada, do you have family there as well?
perhaps you will want to stay with your relatives in the first few days
or perhaps you will just want to let them know you are there and have their numbers as emergency numbers just in case? u will also want to have a special visa card for any emergency and ensure that your parents know exactly where you re stayng and the name of this guy. also have you ever googled his name? or checked out his facebook profile to see what kinds of friends he has or anything?

when my hubby came for the first time to met me, he stayed by some friends for 2 weeks. After which itrusted him to come and stay with me. when i went over to stay with him, i met his parents (which is important to guage his family life) and i also checked his entire apartment. :0 yes i went through some bills etc

at the end of the day, the very first time he met me in person after a year of convo...he wanted to marry..i felt that he was the one but we waited a year (multiple trips to each other) before doing so.
HoneyBird, I only have an uncle, but unfortunately he lives all the way in Calgary.also have you ever googled his name? or checked out his facebook profile to see what kinds of friends he has or anything? I don't need to google him and I do know some friends of him. We talk to each other once in a while and till now I haven't notice anything bad. I also often talk to his mother. (he told his mother about me quite soon after we met each other) so I do know my boyfriend from some other perspectives too. I have talked to his parole officer too, she called me twice. The first time after my boyfriend told his PO about me she called me to make sure if he actually notified me about his past. And dear members, he did!!! From the very first chat he told me that he got out from jail and that he was in a halfway house. The second time was 2months later. I think she wanted to see if we were serious.. She asked me a few questions too.
In August we will just meet, which is exactly a year from our first conversation..

srcc

Star Member
Sep 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am glad that you are making the right decision.. that is just meet him and do things slowly. Although I don't even know you, I would be worry if you came here first time and marry somebody you just met.
Take time.. if you both really love each other, in a few years you are still together :)

I wish you all the best

Janadian

Jun 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 18 2010
File Transfer...
02-11-2010
Med's Request
Oct 2011 -2nd Medical request
Med's Done....
October 2009
Interview........
11-01-2011
I'll second that

whoopsydaisy

Dec 13, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zeinab20 said:
Whoopsydaisy, no need to say sorry. ;) I am happy that you are the only one that notes my purpose of why me and my boyfriend want to marry soon. You can understand that I am in a conflicting situation.. My family would absolutely NOT like it us being just 'boyfriend and girlfriend'.... Yes, my families ideal might be not modern but that is why I wanted to marry soon, to respect my families values.. But, if this will affect my future plans with my boyfriend to negative then I will have to make a choice. I don't want to marry soon and with the possibility that Immigration Canada would confront this with us and decline the application for a sponsorship after 4years. I don't want to risk that.
They may not be modern but I do agree with their POV myself, Zeinab! ;) I don't believe in cohabitating prior to marriage but I know a lot of people disagree with that - it doesn't matter, as long as they don't expect me to think like them ;) I hope both you and your boyfriend will make the best decision for yourselves so that you can be married and living together. All the best, my dear!

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
Zeinab, I followed your story and the comments, suggestions you got from other members and I could not agree more with them. You would take an incredible risk to marry someone whom you never met before quickly, not to mention the circumstances. You are young and on the right track to get your higher education. That one in itself may offer you to apply for PR as a skilled worker once in the future if everything works out well between the two of you. Allow time for a relationship to develop, get to know him and the place. Also I encourage you to work things out with your family, you need their support now and later, also I think every parent wants the best for their children. Their precaution is more than understandable. If you meet him and build a strong relationship with him, your family might change their mind. They have to see that he is a man worth to spend time, effort, money, ect. on.
Just on a sidenote- my family was in a bit of a shock for a long time when my husband now proposed me. I left home with the tought of studying here for a while, all of them expected me going back, my job, my life was waiting for me. I met my husband online before I came to Canada such like you, but never considered to be romantic before I met him in real. We started off as friends and I ended up staying. My family loves him, met him, but was having a hard time to accept that I marry him and going to spend maybe the rest of my life away from them. Try to think about this aspect as well.
All the best for you!

Z

Zeinab20

whoopsydaisy said:
They may not be modern but I do agree with their POV myself, Zeinab! ;) I don't believe in cohabitating prior to marriage but I know a lot of people disagree with that - it doesn't matter, as long as they don't expect me to think like them ;) I hope both you and your boyfriend will make the best decision for yourselves so that you can be married and living together. All the best, my dear!
POV? Point of view? ;D

Yes.. thank you so much! ;) It took a lot of stress of for the both of us now we finally made a decision.

Z

Zeinab20

ditta said:
Zeinab, I followed your story and the comments, suggestions you got from other members and I could not agree more with them. You would take an incredible risk to marry someone whom you never met before quickly, not to mention the circumstances. You are young and on the right track to get your higher education. That one in itself may offer you to apply for PR as a skilled worker once in the future if everything works out well between the two of you. Allow time for a relationship to develop, get to know him and the place. Also I encourage you to work things out with your family, you need their support now and later, also I think every parent wants the best for their children. Their precaution is more than understandable. If you meet him and build a strong relationship with him, your family might change their mind. They have to see that he is a man worth to spend time, effort, money, ect. on.
Just on a sidenote- my family was in a bit of a shock for a long time when my husband now proposed me. I left home with the tought of studying here for a while, all of them expected me going back, my job, my life was waiting for me. I met my husband online before I came to Canada such like you, but never considered to be romantic before I met him in real. We started off as friends and I ended up staying. My family loves him, met him, but was having a hard time to accept that I marry him and going to spend maybe the rest of my life away from them. Try to think about this aspect as well.
All the best for you!
Ditta.. it is true that for now, my priority should be set on getting my degree. Getting our time is the best solution for us and I can always visit my boyfriend. It is just a pity that he can't come to see me in order to meet my family.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Zeinab20 said:
Won't they find it suspicious though, that I visit Canada every year? Or can I just tell them that my purpose is visiting my boyfriend?
Someone from Western Europe coming to Canada every summer will not be considered suspicious. You can say you are visiting friends, or that you are a tourist. (Both will be true.) If you are enrolled in university during this time, you will have proof of ties to the Netherlands. Probably the border official won't ask you much beyond why you are coming to Canada, but if they do you should be prepared with the proof they will want to see that you will be going back to the Netherlands: a return ticket, proof of your school enrollment, proof that you have already paid for classes that start after your return date (if possible, this is very good proof), an apartment lease.
If you marry him next summer, but continue with your schooling in the Netherlands and come to visit every summer, the border officials will most likely be more suspicious, so you will definitely need the above proof.

How would your parents feel if you and he continued as boyfriend and girlfriend, but didn't actually live together? You could stay at a hostel and just date him, after all; you don't actually have to live with him.

Z

Zeinab20

canadianwoman said:
Someone from Western Europe coming to Canada every summer will not be considered suspicious. You can say you are visiting friends, or that you are a tourist. (Both will be true.) If you are enrolled in university during this time, you will have proof of ties to the Netherlands. Probably the border official won't ask you much beyond why you are coming to Canada, but if they do you should be prepared with the proof they will want to see that you will be going back to the Netherlands: a return ticket, proof of your school enrollment, proof that you have already paid for classes that start after your return date (if possible, this is very good proof), an apartment lease.
If you marry him next summer, but continue with your schooling in the Netherlands and come to visit every summer, the border officials will most likely be more suspicious, so you will definitely need the above proof.

How would your parents feel if you and he continued as boyfriend and girlfriend, but didn't actually live together? You could stay at a hostel and just date him, after all; you don't actually have to live with him.
Canadianwoman, thank you for advices. ;) Me and my boyfriend just need to make sure we will have lots of proof! My parents wouldn't like that idea.. not at all. I need to think about what to do with my family. My boyfriend said that I don't have to worry about an accommodation, he would take care of that..

Z

Zeinab20

Hello dear members!

Thank you so much for all your time and effort in following this topic and of course posting answers too! ;)
I wanted to say that my boyfriend recently talked to an immigration lawyer and we finally heard the releasing but clear answer: his crime (as the victim was not a relative!) does not make him ineligible to sponsor me in the future! :D
I am really happy and this took away lots of stress for the both of us! ;D ;D ;D