+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor my gf as common law partner

Barry Liu

Dec 10, 2014
Hello!

I am a PR since November 2010 and would like to sponsor my gf. I believe that I can do that by proving she is my common-law partner to CIC.
We have been together already almost 2 years (started our relationship on February 2013).

However, when we started we never considered our relationship something very serious. We both lived in the same host family in Burnaby BC (that's how we met).

About 8 months ago, we started living in our own apartment and we used both our names in the contract for the rent. We don't have documents such as joint bank accounts or credit cards, life insurances etc. ONLY the residential lease with our names and signed by both of us and our current manager. The previous host family never did a contract for any of their tenants or used any receipts at all. We both have mail to the same address and we could get things like call logs, provide pictures and even testimonies from members of the family we were living with when our relationship started.

Would all this type of info be enough for me to sponsor her? I want to do it as soon as possible as her visa will expire on April 2015.

Thank you very much for your time!

Graihn

Jul 15, 2013
Kitchener-Waterloo
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 22 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 22 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 1 2014
LANDED..........
Dec 12 2014
Barry Liu said:
Hello!

I am a PR since November 2010 and would like to sponsor my gf. I believe that I can do that by proving she is my common-law partner to CIC.
We have been together already almost 2 years (started our relationship on February 2013).

However, when we started we never considered our relationship something very serious. We both lived in the same host family in Burnaby BC (that's how we met).

About 8 months ago, we started living in our own apartment and we used both our names in the contract for the rent. We don't have documents such as joint bank accounts or credit cards, life insurances etc. ONLY the residential lease with our names and signed by both of us and our current manager. The previous host family never did a contract for any of their tenants or used any receipts at all. We both have mail to the same address and we could get things like call logs, provide pictures and even testimonies from members of the family we were living with when our relationship started.

Would all this type of info be enough for me to sponsor her? I want to do it as soon as possible as her visa will expire on April 2015.

Thank you very much for your time!
It is good that you have a joint lease. However, you cannot start sponsoring her until you have lived together for AT LEAST 12 months.

Gather mail sent to the address, specially the mail addressed to the both of you.

ALso, open a joint account, and see if you can add each other as beneficiaries on various insurance policies. Before we applied I got a 25,000 dollar life insurance from CIBC for a mere $2,50 a month naming my partner as beneficiary, and we also opened a joint account together and put like $50 in it and got a statement.

Another advice is to ask many people to send xmas cards addressed to the both of you.

You will also need to have at least two people write a letter about your relationship, how they know you, and what occasions you have spent together. These need to be notarized by a lawyer and can be done now. I did mine in June 2013 and did not apply till January 2014, and there was no issue with that.

paulflynn12

Oct 16, 2014
You can do it together don't lose hope :)

-----------------------
~ Kitchen Ideas by Vegetable Spiral Slicer for chef, families and dieters!