+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor misspelled surname situation

DJbarnett

Mar 24, 2021
Hello, I am a Canadian Citizen living in Canada sponsoring my husband who is a U.S. citizen under the family class from outside of Canada. After submitting the application, I realized I misspelled my surname by missing a single letter. I made the mistake only once on the 'Family Name' line on form 1344e. On the rest of the application, our marriage certificate and photocopy of my passport included, my surname is spelled properly. However, they used my misspelled surname during the application process. I contacted them and they acknowledged the issue but never corrected it. The process ended up completing faster than we expected, my husband has already received his COPR. On this form, my surname of course is using the misspelling. His details as well as all other details are correct. I am concerned this will be an issue when he 'lands' in Canada. I will be accompanying him when coming here with all the necessary documents they're asking for when 'landing'. I am wondering if this mistake can be fixed when we approach the Immigration officer upon entry, or does it need to be addressed beforehand by the IIRC? I have sent an Enquiry before posting, but that of course could take a few days to a few weeks for them to respond. I've been unable to reach them by phone. Any advice is appreciated!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello, I am a Canadian Citizen living in Canada sponsoring my husband who is a U.S. citizen under the family class from outside of Canada. After submitting the application, I realized I misspelled my surname by missing a single letter. I made the mistake only once on the 'Family Name' line on form 1344e. On the rest of the application, our marriage certificate and photocopy of my passport included, my surname is spelled properly. However, they used my misspelled surname during the application process. I contacted them and they acknowledged the issue but never corrected it. The process ended up completing faster than we expected, my husband has already received his COPR. On this form, my surname of course is using the misspelling. His details as well as all other details are correct. I am concerned this will be an issue when he 'lands' in Canada. I will be accompanying him when coming here with all the necessary documents they're asking for when 'landing'. I am wondering if this mistake can be fixed when we approach the Immigration officer upon entry, or does it need to be addressed beforehand by the IIRC? I have sent an Enquiry before posting, but that of course could take a few days to a few weeks for them to respond. I've been unable to reach them by phone. Any advice is appreciated!
Try to call again. Call them early in the morning.