+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor living outside Canada

dairyowls

Dec 9, 2021
I Currently live outside Canada with my spouse and want to sponsor him.
There are a few things in the application process that are a bit confusing;

Form IMM 5533 (checklist)
Part B
1- What can I use to prove that I (the sponsor) will move back to Canada with my spouse once he gets his PR?
2- What can I show for this? "Canadian citizen currently living abroad will need to demonstrate to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that he or she intends to live in Canada with his or her spouse once they become a permanent resident."

Form IMM 5532
1- if my salary income was low, and I am currently unemployed, how should i fill the "Sponsor's employment history" section
2- If the PA has more than 4 relatives in Canada, should we attach another page with their details?

vnexpress

Jul 2, 2015
Same questions. Hope somebody can help us.

Is there any thread connecting FC1 sponsors who live overseas and have to prepare proof of return to Canada upon PA visa grant? I am in that situation and would like to learn from everyone's experience. I heard that SA might be delayed for sponsors who submit application while residing outside Canada.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Is there any thread connecting FC1 sponsors who live overseas and have to prepare proof of return to Canada upon PA visa grant? I am in that situation and would like to learn from everyone's experience. I heard that SA might be delayed for sponsors who submit application while residing outside Canada.
Due to covid, everything is delayed (not only SA).

Readytogo1010

Star Member
Mar 24, 2022
Category........
FAM
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-01-2022
Doc's Request.
N/A

Hi, my fiancé is a Canadian citizen and has been living with me. We’re both waiting for PR and we got SA 20 days after AOR so don’t worry there won’t be any issue. Write in detail on what you plan to do once you move to Canada, mention that you have family members there. If you have a Canadian bank account or debit/credit cards, a registered business or a job offer, and if you file the taxes, that should be good proof of your intent to return. If not, contact realtors and message them about renting an apartment and show proof, register in the job bank and show that you’re applying for jobs. Letters from friends/family from Canada are also strong proof of your intent. Good luck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, my fiancé is a Canadian citizen and has been living with me. We’re both waiting for PR and we got SA 20 days after AOR so don’t worry there won’t be any issue. Write in detail on what you plan to do once you move to Canada, mention that you have family members there. If you have a Canadian bank account or debit/credit cards, a registered business or a job offer, and if you file the taxes, that should be good proof of your intent to return. If not, contact realtors and message them about renting an apartment and show proof, register in the job bank and show that you’re applying for jobs. Letters from friends/family from Canada are also strong proof of your intent. Good luck
Stronger proof includes giving notice to your employer in your home country close to approval date of sponsorship, giving notice or selling home, etc. Mentionning that you have family members or that you file taxes is not enough proof you really need concrete proof that you are actively applying for jobs, looking for a place to live, being very public about your intent to relocate to Canada.

vnexpress

Jul 2, 2015
Thanks for all great advice! So should I start explaining my intent to return when I submit my sponsorship and they will review that during the SA assessment, or I can wait until the reviewing officer asks for such evidence before granting visa?

Thanks.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Others have offered some great advice.

I sponsored out of Canada and included quotes from cargo companies, (Even though I didn't actually end up using them to move stuff :)) letters from family, a detail of my updated Canadian driver's license (Not every would have this.) as well as rental searches and some email responses from potential landlords. (Also, not used.) as well as letters from my family members. I included some details on both my PR and my own job search history as well as my research into mobile cell phones for the area I was going to live in.

Highly recommend do/including as much as possible on your initial application as I believe this was the first thing, they checked based on their correspondence and if you get questioned/denied here it will tack on months to the overall process.

Good fortunes :)

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for all great advice! So should I start explaining my intent to return when I submit my sponsorship and they will review that during the SA assessment, or I can wait until the reviewing officer asks for such evidence before granting visa?

Thanks.
Agree with @nedvert , definitely include information about intent on your application.

You may or may not get asked for supplemental information later, but it will be much more credible if in the interim you have continued preparations and have addl to include.

(We did not get asked but it seesm to have become more routine to request from applicants - or possibly our situation was a bit different and more clear).

Reactions: Readytogo1010

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thanks.
Many of the documents that can be used as proof of your intent to return will not be available when you first apply so I would suggest sending in more proof as it becomes available around 3-4 months before your planned return date.

Reactions: armoured

Ivanm7331

Star Member
May 6, 2022
Stronger proof includes giving notice to your employer in your home country close to approval date of sponsorship, giving notice or selling home, etc. Mentionning that you have family members or that you file taxes is not enough proof you really need concrete proof that you are actively applying for jobs, looking for a place to live, being very public about your intent to relocate to Canada.
Would enrolment in school be concrete proof?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes. Although I would re-state with use of 'evidence', and emphasize that no individual fact is likely to be sufficient on its own (short of actually residing in Canada of course). Intent cannot be 'proven.'

That is: put together as complete a package of evidence as you can and a short narrative (story) that makes sense. If some things are missing, not end of world, but likewise, don't rely on any individual thing as being enough.

But yes, enrollment in a proper school program with eg evidence of such and money paid in part will be stronger evidence than most.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Enrolment + having paid tuition for the first semester would be stronger proof (if you can swing that).