+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor ineligible because of a workplace injury?

Nov 21, 2017
Manchester, UK
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Unknown
App. Filed.......
04-10-2017
AOR Received.
15-12-2017
Med's Request
20-12-2017
Hi everyone,

My partner is sponsoring me under the Family Class sponsorship program. We've already received everything, and I'm moving over to Canada at the end of this month.

The issue is my partner recently suffered an injury at work and needs to take some paid leave under disability. She's concerned that this may make her ineligible to be a sponsor.

As I understand it, this doesn't really matter since she's already been approved as a sponsor, and the CIC website states that as long as she doesn't "receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability" then she's fine.

Just want to double check that I'm right here, and that there's no real need to worry.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi everyone,

My partner is sponsoring me under the Family Class sponsorship program. We've already received everything, and I'm moving over to Canada at the end of this month.

The issue is my partner recently suffered an injury at work and needs to take some paid leave under disability. She's concerned that this may make her ineligible to be a sponsor.

As I understand it, this doesn't really matter since she's already been approved as a sponsor, and the CIC website states that as long as she doesn't "receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability" then she's fine.

Just want to double check that I'm right here, and that there's no real need to worry.
She can definitely sponsor.

The only question there may be is over her ability or 'game plan' to support you if necessary in Canada.

Nov 21, 2017
Manchester, UK
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Unknown
App. Filed.......
04-10-2017
AOR Received.
15-12-2017
Med's Request
20-12-2017
She can definitely sponsor.

The only question there may be is over her ability or 'game plan' to support you if necessary in Canada.
Thanks for the speedy reply! That's what I thought. She'll likely only be out for a couple of weeks, and we've both got money saved up. Plus I've got a few interviews lined up for when I land, so I think we're in a good position. Just wanted to check I wasn't missing anything.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

Yup, you're right.