+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor got PR as a single, but was living together with partner

qweqwe

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
It wasn't possible for him to add you or declare you as his common law partner when he landed - that's not how it works. To add you as his common law partner, he would have had to have done this BEFORE landing in Canada and becoming a PR. He would have been required to return his COPR (landing visa) and let IRCC know he is now common law. He would have then been required to submit all of the paperwork to add you as his common law partner including PCCs, completing the medical and providing proof that you have lived together for a year. After taking additional time to process your information, IRCC would have then issued him a new COPR listing his status as common law (rather than single).

As far as he remembers,
-He declared me as his common-law partner when he filled the application form.
-However, he didn't have enough income history to get me PR. So, he didn't put me as an applicant for PR. So I was not considered as an applicant.
-When he landed, he asked to officer whether he can sponsor me later saying he has a girlfriend who has been living together for several years. And the officer said it will be okay.

This is everything my husband remembers....

qweqwe

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
It wasn't possible for him to add you or declare you as his common law partner when he landed - that's not how it works. To add you as his common law partner, he would have had to have done this BEFORE landing in Canada and becoming a PR. He would have been required to return his COPR (landing visa) and let IRCC know he is now common law. He would have then been required to submit all of the paperwork to add you as his common law partner including PCCs, completing the medical and providing proof that you have lived together for a year. After taking additional time to process your information, IRCC would have then issued him a new COPR listing his status as common law (rather than single).
It wasn't possible for him to add you or declare you as his common law partner when he landed - that's not how it works. To add you as his common law partner, he would have had to have done this BEFORE landing in Canada and becoming a PR.
-He declared me as common-law partner when he applied for his PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As far as he remembers,
-He declared me as his common-law partner when he filled the application form.
-However, he didn't have enough income history to get me PR. So, he didn't put me as an applicant for PR. So I was not considered as an applicant.
-When he landed, he asked to officer whether he can sponsor me later saying he has a girlfriend who has been living together for several years. And the officer said it will be okay.

This is everything my husband remembers....
This doesn't make sense and isn't possible.

Either he declared you as his common law partner in his PR application or he didn't. If he did, he would have needed to show enough proof of funds for 2 people to be approved for PR. If he only had enough proof of funds to cover 1 person, then he applied as single and did not declare you as his common law partner in his application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
-He declared me as common-law partner when he applied for his PR.
If he did that - then you would have completed a medical and provided your police certificates as part of his application. Also - it would have been mandatory for him to show proof of funds to cover two people (not just 1).

qweqwe

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
If he did that - then you would have completed a medical and provided your police certificates as part of his application. Also - it would have been mandatory for him to show proof of funds to cover two people (not just 1).
But, we have document he declared...
Is it possible to check if he declared me or not at the border?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
At this point I would recommend that you start by withdrawing the spousal sponsorship application.

Your husband should then order the GCMS notes for his Express Entry application. Hopefully they are still available and they should tell you if he applied as single or not. GCMS notes take around 30 days to arrive after you apply - sometimes more.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What document do you have that states you were delcared? Do you have the COPR letter that shows his status (i.e. single, common law)?

Again - you cannot declare a common law partner at the border. That's simply not possible.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
what document? If he declared you at the border then CBSA would have REFUSED him from landing and instructed him to add you BEFORE landing.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As scylla has said several times, it isn't possible to declare a partner at the border.

The simple fact is that if you did not do a medical with his application, you were NOT included. He committed misrepresentation and your sponsorship app will be refused.