+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor getting Canadian Citizenship while application is in process

SmokeTrails

Mar 1, 2022
Hello everyone,

I applied to sponsor my spouse back in September 2021 when I was a PR. Now, I'll be having my citizenship oath ceremony in a few days, so I had a couple of questions:
1) Do I need to inform the VO regarding sponsor's change of status (from PR to citizen)?
2) When I soon become a citizen, will the rule of having to live in Canada while the app is in process no longer apply to me i.e. I can leave Canada for a longer period of time? Or is it the case that because I was a PR when the application was submitted, the rules of a PR will continue to apply i.e. I must continue to live in Canada while the app is being processed.

Thank you

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello everyone,

I applied to sponsor my spouse back in September 2021 when I was a PR. Now, I'll be having my citizenship oath ceremony in a few days, so I had a couple of questions:
1) Do I need to inform the VO regarding sponsor's change of status (from PR to citizen)?
2) When I soon become a citizen, will the rule of having to live in Canada while the app is in process no longer apply to me i.e. I can leave Canada for a longer period of time? Or is it the case that because I was a PR when the application was submitted, the rules of a PR will continue to apply i.e. I must continue to live in Canada while the app is being processed.

Thank you
1. No, CIC doesn't care.
2. Once you are a citizen, you can reside with your spouse overseas.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi

1. No, CIC doesn't care.
2. Once you are a citizen, you can reside with your spouse overseas.
If you're going to do anything that is allowed only for citizens, it would be best to advise them.

Don't assume IRCC will automatically update the application without the sponsor telling them.