+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor Eligibility

Claudio034

Mar 8, 2018
Hi everyone,
I am a Canadian PR. However, my PR card is expiring this October and I did not meet the obligation to stay 2 years during the last 5 years. I have come back to Canada this year without any problem, and I already had a job in Toronto.
Wondering, if there is any possibility for me to sponsor my wife to come and become to PR at this moment? I have asked several advisors and immigration agencies, some saids yes and some said that I will have to wait for another 2 years(not travel abroad+ file tax+ renew PR card).
Looking for suggestions. Also, I am wondering if there is anyone successfully sponsored their spouse within the same situation.
Thanks!

singleman

VIP Member
Jul 28, 2018
App. Filed.......
00-05-2020
File Transfer...
00-00-2021
Hi everyone,
I am a Canadian PR. However, my PR card is expiring this October and I did not meet the obligation to stay 2 years during the last 5 years. I have come back to Canada this year without any problem, and I already had a job in Toronto.
Wondering, if there is any possibility for me to sponsor my wife to come and become to PR at this moment? I have asked several advisors and immigration agencies, some saids yes and some said that I will have to wait for another 2 years(not travel abroad+ file tax+ renew PR card).
Looking for suggestions. Also, I am wondering if there is anyone successfully sponsored their spouse within the same situation.
Thanks!
1st thing 1st. Renew your PR card for 5 more years. If no complications from prev. marriages then sponsoring will be no problem.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,
Thanks!
No - you cannot sponsor your wife at this time. If you try, her application will be refused and IRCC will start proceedings to revoke your PR status since you don't meet the residency obligation.

You will have to wait until you meet the residency obligation before you apply to sponsor your wife for PR. Do not apply early - or you will end up losing your own PR status.

preet618

Oct 5, 2018
Hi, I just moved to canada this year in april and I have Canadian permanent residency. I am getting married to my girl friend in November this year in India. I will go to India in Nobember. we are in relationship from last 8 years. I have pictures, chat history and email for record.
1. Should I sponsor her as common law partner or spouse?
2. If as spouse, then I can apply right after getting married or I have to wait for any particular duration?
3. Can I sponsor her from India or I have to be here in Canada?
4. She was here in Canad 6 years ago and did 1 year diploma from Toronto. does it help any way?

Thank you in advance.

crystarclear

Star Member
Oct 2, 2017
Alberta
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
09-12-2017
Doc's Request.
26-01-2018
AOR Received.
24-01-2018
LANDED..........
06-11-2018
Hi, I just moved to canada this year in april and I have Canadian permanent residency. I am getting married to my girl friend in November this year in India. I will go to India in Nobember. we are in relationship from last 8 years. I have pictures, chat history and email for record.
2. If as spouse, then I can apply right after getting married or I have to wait for any particular duration?
4. She was here in Canad 6 years ago and did 1 year diploma from Toronto. does it help any way?

Thank you in advance.
If you're already getting married in November, sponsor her as a spouse. You will not count as common-law if you marry her.

You can apply for sponsorship right away. As long as you have the documents already (e.g. Marriage Certificate)

You mentioned, you’re a PR. So you wouls have to remain in Canada to sponsor her.

I am not sure if it would help, but put that information in your application. She would need to put travel history anyway in her Schedule A.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thank you in advance.
1. Have you lived together for 1 year continuously? If not you can't apply for common law and must apply after marriage.
2.You must be in Canada to apply for spousal sponsorship as a PR. If she can get a TRV you have the option between outland and inland application where she remains in Canada with you. If you can do inland she can apply for an OWP at the same time. It will take around 4 months.
3.You must remain in Canada during the sponsorship. Short vacations of max 2-3 weeks seem to be tolerated.
4. No.

RamiB

Oct 19, 2016
Hello ,
Please guide me on this
Me and my husband meet minimum income requirements to apply for parents. I received my maternity leave started aug 2017 now sm receiving sickness benefits for 3 month due to medical condition i have from my delivery .
Csn i still apply for Parents in 2019
Or Sickness benefits vount as social assistance .But we still have enough income as a household .please help me on this
Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello ,
Please guide me on this
Me and my husband meet minimum income requirements to apply for parents. I received my maternity leave started aug 2017 now sm receiving sickness benefits for 3 month due to medical condition i have from my delivery .
Csn i still apply for Parents in 2019
Or Sickness benefits vount as social assistance .But we still have enough income as a household .please help me on this
Thank you
If you have enough income as a household to cover 2017 and 2018 when you were on maternity leave and longterm sick leave you will be fine. Maternity payments count for LICO but don't believe longterm sick benefits do. They haven't released the sponsorship information for 2019 so can't confirm whether you qualify but assume LICO will increase by at least inflation and you will likely need to qualify for 2016/17/18 or 2015/16/17. Looks like you will need to qualify for 8 people for all 3 years if you sponsored your in-laws already.

Claudio034

Mar 8, 2018
No - you cannot sponsor your wife at this time. If you try, her application will be refused and IRCC will start proceedings to revoke your PR status since you don't meet the residency obligation.

You will have to wait until you meet the residency obligation before you apply to sponsor your wife for PR. Do not apply early - or you will end up losing your own PR status.
Thanks so much for your advise!

RamiB

Oct 19, 2016
Thank you so much
Yes our houshold income is enough. Am just having short term sickness benefits 4 month only .

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
1st thing 1st. Renew your PR card for 5 more years. If no complications from prev. marriages then sponsoring will be no problem.
This is incorrect. The residency obligations must be met first in order to maintain pr status. Once that is met then op can sponsor