+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor a parent while you work in united states

walinsor

Sep 5, 2018
Hi,

My girlfriend would like to sponsor her parents to immigrate from Iran to Canada (She is a Canadian citizen). But she is looking into relocating to United States to live with me (I live in Seattle). Can she still sponsor them while living in United States? Would it be necessary to use a lawyer to speed up the process?

Thanks
Ahmad

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Hi,

My girlfriend would like to sponsor her parents to immigrate from Iran to Canada (She is a Canadian citizen). But she is looking into relocating to United States to live with me (I live in Seattle). Can she still sponsor them while living in United States? Would it be necessary to use a lawyer to speed up the process?

Thanks
Ahmad
No, she cannot not. She must work and reside in Canada during the PGP sponsorship until her parents lands as PR. Remember that she must also maintain LICO requirement depending on family size (income from Canadian sources) during the entire process. Using a lawyer won't speed any process and it is totally moot since she cannot sponsor her parents while residing in US.

Reactions: walinsor and YVR123

walinsor

Sep 5, 2018
No, she cannot not. She must work and reside in Canada during the PGP sponsorship until her parents lands as PR. Remember that she must also maintain LICO requirement depending on family size (income from Canadian sources) during the entire process. Using a lawyer won't speed any process and it is totally moot since she cannot sponsor her parents while residing in US.
Thank you screech339. I found this in the government's website:

"You must live in Canada to sponsor eligible relatives unless you:
  • are a Canadian citizen who lives abroad and
  • plan to return to Canada when your relatives immigrate and
  • are sponsoring your:
  • spouse or
  • common-law or conjugal partner or
  • dependent children who have no dependent children"
This doesn't say "parents". The webpage about sponsorship of parents doesn't say anything about living in Canada, it just says you should be a citizen and you should have enough income. But it's spelled out explicitly in the "other relatives" page that you should live in Canada unless the above. Hence I'm here asking.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/other-relatives/eligibility.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents/eligibility.html

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Thank you screech339. I found this in the government's website:

"You must live in Canada to sponsor eligible relatives unless you:
  • are a Canadian citizen who lives abroad and
  • plan to return to Canada when your relatives immigrate and
  • are sponsoring your:
  • spouse or
  • common-law or conjugal partner or
  • dependent children who have no dependent children"
This doesn't say "parents". The webpage about sponsorship of parents doesn't say anything about living in Canada, it just says you should be a citizen and you should have enough income. But it's spelled out explicitly in the "other relatives" page that you should live in Canada unless the above. Hence I'm here asking.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/other-relatives/eligibility.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents/eligibility.html
You are not using the right link. You must use the link provided. The link says that she must live in Canada and maintain income LICO requirement for the entire PR application process. In other words, Reside and work in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html

Sponsorship eligibility
In order to sponsor, you must…
  • be 18 years of age or older;
  • be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident;
  • be sponsoring a member of the family Class;
  • live in Canada;
  • sign an undertaking promising to provide for the basic requirements of the person being sponsored;
  • sign an agreement with the person you are sponsoring that confirms that each of you understands your mutual obligations and responsibilities;
  • prove that you have sufficient income to provide the basic requirements for your family members in Canada as well as the persons included in your sponsorship undertaking. You may also have a co-signer.
Minimum Necessary Income requirement for sponsors of parents and grandparents
If you are sponsoring a parent or a grandparent, you must meet the minimum necessary income requirement for each of the three taxation years immediately preceding the date of your application. The minimum necessary income requirement is equal to the Low Income Cut-offs (LICOs) plus 30%, taking into account the number of family members for whom you are or will be financially responsible.

Signing the statement of consent (question 8 on the Financial Evaluation for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship) and providing your Social Insurance Number (SIN) will allow Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to collect your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and request your income tax information quickly from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to determine whether you meet the minimum necessary income requirements. If you do not provide your consent, you must complete the applicable form Income Sources for the Sponsorship of Parents and Grandparents and submit a Notice of Assessment issued to you by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for each of the three taxation years immediately preceding the date of your application. If you do not have paper copies of your Notices of Assessment on file, you can view (and print) your tax returns as well as other personal tax information using the CRA’s My Account online service. To register or login, visit My Account.

If you reside anywhere in Canada, other than Quebec, you may use the Federal Income Table to estimate if your income is sufficient to meet income requirements to sponsor. If you have an eligible co-signer (spouse or common-law partner) on the sponsorship undertaking, their income will be added to yours as a sponsor.

Do I have to maintain a minimum income during the processing of the application?
Your Minimum Necessary Income must meet or exceed the Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship above on the date on which the sponsorship application is signed until the day your family members are granted status as permanent residents.

Income may be reassessed at any time during processing if new information indicates that you may no longer meet the minimum income requirements or if more than 12 months have passed between the dates on which we receive your application and when processing of the application begins.

Last edited:
Reactions: walinsor

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
If you click on the link you provided you will see this.

Who is eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent
You can sponsor your parents and grandparents if you’re 18 years of age or older, living in Canada and are a:

• Canadian citizen or
  • person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
  • permanent resident of Canada
If you are selected to apply, you can only sponsor your own parents and grandparents. You can’t use your invitation to become a co-signer for your spouse or partner’s parents and grandparents. Find out more.

If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s immigration sponsorship requirements after we approve you as a sponsor.

Your responsibilities
When you sponsor your parents and grandparents to become permanent residents of Canada, you must:

You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that:

• commits you to provide financial support for your relative (and any other eligible relatives accompanying them):
    • for a period of three to 20 years
    • depending on their age and relationship to you
    • beginning on the date they become a permanent resident
  • states that the persons becoming permanent residents will make every effort to support themselves
Dependent children under age 19 do not have to sign the agreement.

Quebec residents must sign an “undertaking” with the province of Quebec. This is a contract that binds your sponsorship.

Reactions: YVR123 and walinsor

walinsor

Sep 5, 2018
If you click on the link you provided you will see this.

Who is eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent
You can sponsor your parents and grandparents if you’re 18 years of age or older, living in Canada and are a:

• Canadian citizen or
  • person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
  • permanent resident of Canada
If you are selected to apply, you can only sponsor your own parents and grandparents. You can’t use your invitation to become a co-signer for your spouse or partner’s parents and grandparents. Find out more.

If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s immigration sponsorship requirements after we approve you as a sponsor.

Your responsibilities
When you sponsor your parents and grandparents to become permanent residents of Canada, you must:

You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that:

• commits you to provide financial support for your relative (and any other eligible relatives accompanying them):
    • for a period of three to 20 years
    • depending on their age and relationship to you
    • beginning on the date they become a permanent resident
  • states that the persons becoming permanent residents will make every effort to support themselves
Dependent children under age 19 do not have to sign the agreement.

Quebec residents must sign an “undertaking” with the province of Quebec. This is a contract that binds your sponsorship.
Ah! You are right! It does say that, I don't know why I missed that phrase. Thanks a lot, that answers it.

jguan0530

May 7, 2018
Can I sponsor my parents while live in Canada but work in the US (Windsor-Detroit commuter)? Isnt US income included while filing Canadian tax due to the tax treaty?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Can I sponsor my parents while live in Canada but work in the US (Windsor-Detroit commuter)? Isnt US income included while filing Canadian tax due to the tax treaty?
Yes, you can sponsor if you live in Canada and commute daily to the US.