+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsership spouse "civil status certificate" help!

Toma1993

Star Member
May 11, 2017
Hi guys,
I am on PGWP and I am applying for spouse sponsership application in Canada. I am Jordanian nationality and married to a Canadian.
Our marriage was in Canada.
My husband is sponsering me. I am in process of gathering my documents to apply for sponsership application, but I am not sure about country specific requirements for civil status certificate
When I checked the checklist for country specific requirements, and I put (Canada and Jordan) they are requiring my passport and my civil status certificate for the past six months.

I am not sure what to do as I have no such a thing called civil status certificate.
I only have marriage certificate from Canada (our marriage took place in Canada).

Is our marriage certificate is enough for "civil status certificate"?

Any opinion will definitely help me
Or if someone have been in the same situation and applied through sponsership please help!!!!Thank
you!

Ali_TO

Mar 31, 2012
Hello guys,
I am preparing sponsorship application for my wife. Did any of you confirm what is the civil status certificate? please help

kaam989

Nov 14, 2019
Hello everyone,

am going through the same case actually. Am holding a Jordanian passport and need to issue this civil status certificate. However, i contacted the civil status department and they said they do not issue this certificate for someone who did not get married in Jordan with a Jordanian marriage contract. I have got married outside Jordan.

anyone can advise please?

did any1 get manage to get this certificate anyway?

Thanks

kaam989

Nov 14, 2019
Hi @Hu88a,

What i understood Finally from Department of civil in Jordan is that am not eligible for such certificate for two reasons:
1- my marriage did not take a place in Jordan and therefore i dont have a Jordanian marriage certificate.
2- Am on a temporary Jordanian passport (no national number).

Finally, i wrote an explanation letter to Canada Immigration demonstrating why i couldn’t obtain this certificate. Also, tried to gather all supporting documents that is proofing my marriage and my current status with my wife.
you may consult a solicitor also in such cases.
Good luck

Hu88a

Oct 3, 2019
Hi @Hu88a,

What i understood Finally from Department of civil in Jordan is that am not eligible for such certificate for two reasons:
1- my marriage did not take a place in Jordan and therefore i dont have a Jordanian marriage certificate.
2- Am on a temporary Jordanian passport (no national number).

Finally, i wrote an explanation letter to Canada Immigration demonstrating why i couldn’t obtain this certificate. Also, tried to gather all supporting documents that is proofing my marriage and my current status with my wife.
you may consult a solicitor also in such cases.
Good luck
Thanks @kaam989!

Because we are common-law, of course our relationship isn't recognized at all in Jordan... so we definitely can't get such a certificate! I guess we will do what you did, and make sure our supporting documents are strong.

Did you provide a notarized copy of the birth certificate? This was the other possible interpretation we had of this requirement, as technically it is a civil status document.

Thanks again :)

Hu88a

Oct 3, 2019
@kaam989 @Ali_TO @[B][USER=921333]Hu88a[/B]
@Toma1993 [/USER] Hello, I'm struggling with the same case too, may you tell me what civil status certificate means in Arabic because I don't understand exactly. My spouse is from Syria. Ill be very thankful. thank you
Hey @San5582
We called IRCC and even they didn't know what it was. We followed the advice of the agent on the phone, and wrote a note explaining that our common-law civil status isn't recognized in Jordan and therefor it wasn't possible to provide a civil status certificate. However, we had our lease agreement and the applicant's birth certificate notarized. This was the advice we got from the agent - if you are married you may want to proved a notarized copy of your marriage license and the applicant's birth certificate. I would recommend calling IRCC for support if possible. Good luck :)

Reactions: San5582

Usmanjamil

Oct 13, 2014
Hi guys.

I am a Canadian PR and want to sponsor my wife who is syrian national and my daughter.

Question is regarding Civil status certificate, its a hectic procedure and min 3 months have been told by Syrian embassy in dubai as my spouse is married to a Pakistani national (myself).

but at the same time, we are residents of Dubai and we do have original marriage certificate issued by govt. of UAE. In presence of that, can we ignore civil status certificate and supplement it by our UAE marriage certificate.

whats ur opinion about it

hsd33

Mar 22, 2021
Hey @San5582
We called IRCC and even they didn't know what it was. We followed the advice of the agent on the phone, and wrote a note explaining that our common-law civil status isn't recognized in Jordan and therefor it wasn't possible to provide a civil status certificate. However, we had our lease agreement and the applicant's birth certificate notarized. This was the advice we got from the agent - if you are married you may want to proved a notarized copy of your marriage license and the applicant's birth certificate. I would recommend calling IRCC for support if possible. Good luck :)
This is very helpful. Thank you. I just wanted to check where did you get the documents notarized? Jordanian consulate? Canadian consulate or foreign ministry in the country you resided in? Thank you

hsd33

Mar 22, 2021
Hi guys,
I am on PGWP and I am applying for spouse sponsership application in Canada. I am Jordanian nationality and married to a Canadian.
Our marriage was in Canada.
My husband is sponsering me. I am in process of gathering my documents to apply for sponsership application, but I am not sure about country specific requirements for civil status certificate
When I checked the checklist for country specific requirements, and I put (Canada and Jordan) they are requiring my passport and my civil status certificate for the past six months.

I am not sure what to do as I have no such a thing called civil status certificate.
I only have marriage certificate from Canada (our marriage took place in Canada).

Is our marriage certificate is enough for "civil status certificate"?

Any opinion will definitely help me
Or if someone have been in the same situation and applied through sponsership please help!!!!Thank
you!
Hello dear. I have the same issues as yours. I'm just reaching out to check what you did about the civil status document. Also, did you need to submit your Jordanian ID?

dound2018

Mar 8, 2019
Hi guys.

I am a Canadian PR and want to sponsor my wife who is syrian national and my daughter.

Question is regarding Civil status certificate, its a hectic procedure and min 3 months have been told by Syrian embassy in dubai as my spouse is married to a Pakistani national (myself).

but at the same time, we are residents of Dubai and we do have original marriage certificate issued by govt. of UAE. In presence of that, can we ignore civil status certificate and supplement it by our UAE marriage certificate.

whats ur opinion about it
hello
any luck that the papers went through same problem with syrian papers