+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsering My British husband

Hafsa12345

May 26, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am a canadian citizen who is working in the UAE. I am married to a british citizen and i have one child. My child has both canadian and british passport. I want to move to canada i already quit my job I have three more months in this country. I want to sponser my husband to canada but i am very confused. I was wondering if i can go with my husband to canada and start an inland application, the only problem is i'm thinking maybe they will need some paperwork from the UAE (i.e police clearence) because we've been living here for the past three years.

I checked out lawyers to do all this for me but they charge so much and im gonna need all the money for the big move. Please help.

Thanks

Jeffuk88

Jan 22, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
29-06-2017
Doc's Request.
26-06-2017
AOR Received.
26-06-2017
Hello everyone,

I am a canadian citizen who is working in the UAE. I am married to a british citizen and i have one child. My child has both canadian and british passport. I want to move to canada i already quit my job I have three more months in this country. I want to sponser my husband to canada but i am very confused. I was wondering if i can go with my husband to canada and start an inland application, the only problem is i'm thinking maybe they will need some paperwork from the UAE (i.e police clearence) because we've been living here for the past three years.

I checked out lawyers to do all this for me but they charge so much and im gonna need all the money for the big move. Please help.

Thanks
If hes british he can enter Canada just using his passport... once in canada you can apply inland with an open work permit and then the OWP application gives you implied status in case his visitor status expires. Once he recieves the work permit he can work... it takes 1-4 months for the work permit so if you can get an application together for submission arriving in canada, your husband only has to wait a few months then he can stay and work without worrying about visas.

Youll need police checks done for UAE as part of the sponsorship process but you dont even need to submit them at the start

Hafsa12345

May 26, 2017
Do you think the only thing i'm gonna need from the UAE is his police clearance? Also are you saying to just get all the papers ready before coming to canada and then when i arrive to just submit it as inland?

Jeffuk88

Jan 22, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
29-06-2017
Doc's Request.
26-06-2017
AOR Received.
26-06-2017
Do you think the only thing i'm gonna need from the UAE is his police clearance? Also are you saying to just get all the papers ready before coming to canada and then when i arrive to just submit it as inland?
If you can yeah... id get all the papers ready in advance. Maybe attach any documentation with both your names on in canada... also you can check the additional country requirements for UAE... itll state whats needed. Theres nothing additional for the uk... look through the application and guides

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Your husband will I believe need a police certificate at some point from the UK unless he hasn't lived there more than 6 months since 18.

Hafsa12345

May 26, 2017
If i start on outland however my husband will have to leave the country after 6 months of staying in canada with me. thats the downside.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
No he won't. He can apply online to extend his visitor status, which is highly likely to be granted as a UK citizen with a PR app in process.

Hafsa12345

May 26, 2017
Okay I chose to go through the inland route because i need my husband to work as soon as possible. When i looked through the application however if i start the process now it seems more confusing because there is a lot of information that i will putting down that is connected to the UAE but that will change once i land in canada. I think at this point i should just get a lawyer to handle all this. any good lawyers that cost around 2000- 3000 CAD?

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
If you're in the UAE for another 3 months (until end of August), and you plan on applying after you have returned to Canada, then it is very unlikely your husband will have a work permit before end of November at the earliest, more likely December.

If you apply now, outland, then if he is processed through Ottawa, he could be a full PR, with work rights, by end of September. If he is processed through London, then December to January is more likely.

You can change address after filing, you just need to let CIC know. A lawyer can't change the process, you're just paying a ridiculous amount to have someone else fill in your name and date of birth on forms, which they'll have to ask you what to write down.

Hafsa12345

May 26, 2017
I would very much like to start an outland application as i can see it's easier the only main concern i would have is, imagine the whole process took more than 8 months. my husband would just be sitting home not working for a long time. However i'm still trying to keep it an option.

Can i choose where i would like my papers to be processed? I'm guessing you meant london, ontario. I figured i just submitted it to one province.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
... no. There is no case processing centre in London, Ontario. Your British husband's application (if filed outland) will be processed in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, or in London, England, UK. You cannot choose which you get, files seem to be assigned at random (more realistically, probably depends on workloads at arrival time).

You have three potential times where your husband may be able to start working. The fastest and slowest are both with an outland application, the middle one is with an inland application. There's no way of knowing in advance which you'll get. However, if you go inland, you do know for sure that he will not be able to work when you arrive, and will have to wait until after you get a permit in response to filing the application.

Hafsa12345

May 26, 2017
Alright cool. Thanks a lot for the info. I'll let you know which one we choose. I'll start filling out the forms and i'll come back here ifi have any difficulties.

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
I would very much like to start an outland application as i can see it's easier the only main concern i would have is, imagine the whole process took more than 8 months. my husband would just be sitting home not working for a long time. However i'm still trying to keep it an option.

Can i choose where i would like my papers to be processed? I'm guessing you meant london, ontario. I figured i just submitted it to one province.
But they will ask stuff from you like cra stuff and paystubs plus where are you going to live and they ask you when he gets his landing interview will you support him for 36 months